1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gambling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I had nothing to do with it, I swear.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Didn't even know you could bet SEC baseball on the apps. It just means more!

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I mentioned it a few weeks ago. I'm not too keen on betting SEC vs. SEC games because it's too much like MLB where any team can win on a given day. But those midweek games against in-state jabronis can be some sweet action.
    The downsides (at least that I've seen) are:
    1) They seem to be very hit-and-miss with which games are available. Not every game is on the board like it is with college basketball. They also mostly offer only moneylines and not run lines.
    2) Continuing off that last point about the lines, the moneyline vig on the favorites is ridiculous. Lots of -300 and -400 odds, if not higher. It's not even worth it unless you try to string some huge parlays together, and we all know how that usually ends up. I've bet two college baseball parlays this season. One was a four-team run line parlay that I connected on. The other was a nine-team moneyline parlay where I hit on eight of the nine legs.
    I won about $70 on the former, and would have won about $105 on the latter, if that tells you anything about how bad the odds were. I had to keep adding legs to it just to get it to a point where it was worth betting on.

exmediahack likes this.
  4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

What will really suck… if for the people rigging it in Ohio to get those 1099 forms on any sports betting payout of $600 or more.

I’m driving through Ohio in June and trying to figure out how to game the system and stay under that threshold on the sign ups.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I am not kidding, I think I've seen Division II baseball on Bovada.

My headscratcher was being able to bet on *in game* NCAA women's volleyball last season.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

As long as the data company can find someone to sit in the stands for $140 and track a game (results into the algorithm), they’ll have a live line on it.

I’ve done a few of those since leaving my legal state.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Why do I think when sports gambling gets "undone" - it's going to be some out of nowhere game with two no-name teams. I remember reading about the BC and Arizona State hoops scandals - shoot, they must have figured something was up when they found out more than four people bet on those teams. My goodness.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago, we attended the BNP Indian Wells tennis tournament. I was on some way outer court, watching 2 players out of the top 30.
    I'm watching live and looking at Bovada, and the lag to update the scores was like 2 seconds!

The score updates on this nothing match have to go around the world and was still immediate.
    I was impressed.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It just means more, etc.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There have been a few scandals in tennis along those lines over the years. Some early-round match at a tennis tournament in Mumbai or somewhere draws some strange action and it pops a flag. Then it turns out one of the players was throwing points.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Well that sounds a lot better than stringing the game for $50.

dixiehack and exmediahack like this.
  12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Mariners/A’s over 8 — wrong choice all night, all year, all decade, all eternity.

Until the M’s tie it at 2-2 with a ninth-inning blast. Then pound out five in the 10th.

Thanks, Jokeland bullpen!

Draft saved Draft deleted