1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gambling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Oct 18, 2013.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I mean, at some point, it becomes more than eerie coincidence, right?

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

For real. FSU covered at least, but that +890 parlay ended up just being a -110 bet on the Noles. LOL. Better than losing money though.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Found a great middle. Colorado Oregon. 1Q. O14 points and U16.5. Each with 50 percent boosts.

bastards.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My "Why the hell not?" four-teamer. Only $5 (pays $67.24 if it hits), but it gives me something to pay attention to in the 2:30 window:
    • BYU +9.5 at Kansas
    • Ole Miss U55.5 at Alabama
    • Maryland -7.5 at Michigan State
    • Oklahoma State +3.5 at Iowa State

All in the green so far.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So that Ohio State-Notre Dame game had some gambling drama, didn't it?
    Ohio State (-3) scores what probably should've been a walk-off touchdown to go up 16-14, but they put one second back on the clock. The only thing that can realistically beat them is a blocked PAT and a return for a defensive two-point conversion, so the smart play is to go for two and take the knee. Buckeyes kick the PAT, though, to win 17-14 and create a push.

6. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

And then Minnesota rowed the boat right in to a sinkhole, costing me a parlay win.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Michigan is almost never going to cover this season. Their style of play with the new clock rules just about guarantees it. I think they had seven possessions the whole game today -- one lasted eight minutes and they kicked a field goal. Plus Harbaugh isn't the kind to be worried about style points. 31-7 against Rutgers is just as good as 45-7 or 63-7

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Rutgers has also been kind of a bankable underdog when they're getting about 20+. They've been one of my favorite bad teams to pick the past few years, because they've often straddled that line of bad enough to go 3-9 and get huge spreads, but just good enough to keep it pretty close. Illinois and Nebraska have been in that same category. Then throw in the Big Ten being stocked with teams that are the yang to that yin, that are good enough to go 7-5 or 8-4 but not good enough to blow anybody out (think Michigan State, Minnesota, Iowa, Purdue) and you get some magic happening when they start playing each other in October and November.
    I don't think it's a coincidence that my gambling fortunes tend to pick up around the second or third week of the Big Ten season.

9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I'm making a small wager on Vikings-Chargers ending in a tie, because a tie between those two rake-steppers seems like the only possible outcome.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Four-teamer in the early NFL window:
    • Saints +1.5 at Packers
    • Bills -6 at Commanders √√
    • Dolphins -6.5 vs. Broncos √√√√√√√√√√√
    • Jaguars -8 vs. Texans

This is why nobody likes or respects you, Jaguars.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

0-5 is just as hard as going 5-0. SuperContest picks for me this week. (I’m in with 4 other guys as investors but I make the call on the picks)

Titans +3.5
    Falcons +3.5
    Bears +13
    Raiders -1.5
    … and Packers -1.5

I was 8-2 and very much in play. Now 8-7.

Like Kramer said, I’m OUT!

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Trash weeks in the NFL are unavoidable. Plenty of time left.

exmediahack likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted