1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

gannett plans to layoff 3,000 by december.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

An editor I know was told to submit a list of what three he would choose to lose. He gave them his list and was told, "Yeah, it won't be any of them." They seem to be targeting the bigger salaries. Not that that is any kind of a surprise.

2. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

USA Today's cuts don't count toward the 10% cuts by the 84-or-so community newspapers. USA Today is considered a separate division.

I've heard the same as Mizzou, I think they're targeting the higher salaried people who have been there longer. We've been told point blank by a higher up that these cuts are strictly to lighten payroll, so it makes more sense to target the person making $41K than the one making $29K.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Never good to be with a company like that. It will catch up to you.

4. Mizzougrad96

Are they sticking to the Dec. 3 date? I had heard some could come tomorrow, but that was a few weeks ago. You have to figure the corporate assholes will take a full week off for the holiday.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mustang,

I agree 100 percent with what you said, but that's how every paper is making cuts.

They're targeting veteran writers who have higher salaries over the younger/cheaper ones.

6. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I know some papers are waiting until Dec. 10 to make the cuts.

I would think if they know who they're cutting, they'd just go ahead and do it. I know the suspense and the constant anxiety is certainly not helping production.

7. Mizzougrad96

By the way...

As I mentioned on this or one of the other layoff threads, a friend of mine who is 100 percent convinced he will be gone in the Gannett purge, did fall down the stairs after the paper had a very wet stairway and has a doctor's note to stay out of the office for the next several weeks, during which he will be fully paid.

I'm going to be curious if he still gets the axe. I say he doesn't.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Did he do it on purpose?

9. Mizzougrad96

I didn't ask, but he told me weeks ago he was going to do it. I didn't think he would, but he sent out a mass email saying he had to get some work done on his ankle.

10. Mizzougrad96

Got an email from my friend who is an editor at a Gannett paper.

He had given them a list of three who he would get rid of if he had to. He was asked about his reasoning and told them that two should be on the verge of being fired anyway. He was told that they would likely not be among the cuts because they can be let go later for cause and not have to buy them out...

What a lovely business...

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

jesus. it sounds like the guy should write an SE's playbook for layoffs.

12. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I agree. I've worked for four major chains, too, and they're all about the same. They do what works for them. Your only saving grace is if you have a union that stands up for you.

Draft saved Draft deleted