1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

gannett plans to layoff 3,000 by december.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Oct 28, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

There's a solution. Keep getting knocked up in order to avoid layoffs.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Don't know what to make of Gannett hiring a guy for a corporate design gig. Why hire a guy who will design a template for all of the papers? Especially now?

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

To arm Gannett with more excuses to cut deskers. They'll claim the templates save so much time and justify leaner desks at each publication.

Here's a perfect Gannett example of making a square peg fit in a round hole. For comic purposes, the obvious error was left in. Really like that idea of moving desks to India, Dean?

http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/99999999/PDF/60316002/1269

Never mind that there's no art - save for that weak breakout graphic - outside of the centerpiece art. Just awful ...

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Somebody should start a thread asking if anybody who works for that shit organization has a positive thing to say about that shit organization. I'd do it but I'd get flamed.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'll say this about Gannett. The company's decisions are usually rational.

6. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

They're not Dean Singleton.

7. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

8. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

There are sneaky ways of getting around it.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/1482993/

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Talked to a friend in Nashville who said he thought the deal was going down in their shop on Wednesday or Thursday of next week.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wednesday is D-Day at most places. Expect about 2/3 of the cuts to be made by Friday with the rest coming the following week.

Also, expect another round of cuts, probably a little smaller than this one, right around March.

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

A little smaller?

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well, my source told me several months ago and I know it's on this board somewhere that this round would be "about 2,000". Well, unfortunately he was off by a bit, but had the timing right.

All I know is they're already talking about the next round, so Gannett will be a long way from being done after the bloodletting in the next couple weeks.

Lovely business, lovely company...

Draft saved Draft deleted