1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

gannett plans to layoff 3,000 by december.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Oct 28, 2008.

1. JimmyOlson

JimmyOlson Member

Early returns ... 59 jobs cut in Rochester, cuts underway elsewhere.

http://gannettblog.blogspot.com/2008/12/breaking-gannett-launches-mass-layoff.html

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, if you believe what is on the blog, there could be some big names cut soon.

Scary.

3. Panhandle PK

Panhandle PK Member

It was a sad, sad day in that newsroom. First a quick phone call to go to HR. Then the papers. Then the box to clean out my desk.

I wonder how hard that GRE is?

4. Mizzougrad96

Four gone in sports at Westchester:

Tony Pinciaro, Jeff Gold, Alex Myers and Brian Heyman.

5. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

It's not bad. Hardest thing, if you've been out of school for a while, is brushing up on the math.

If it's something you're seriously thinking about, you should be aware that a lot of grad programs have deadlines at the start of the year -- Jan. 1 to early March depending. A Jan. 1 deadline is entirely doable, but you'd need to take the GRE soon.

Good luck to you Panhandle, and I'm sorry you're having to go through this. For many of my friends, being laid off turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Keep the faith.

6. Mizzougrad96

According to the blog, Florida Today is completely shutting down.

Is there any truth to this?

7. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I doubt that. I thought Florida Today was Gannett's baby. I thought it was supposed to be to community papers what USA Today did for national papers.

But I don't know. That blog is sometimes not the most accurate thing. I guess just like many things on the Internet.

8. Mizzougrad96

I know the paper has had more than its share of problems, but shutting it down would surprise me.

9. derwood

derwood Active Member

Anything is possible.

10. Mizzougrad96

This is how fucked-up this is...

A friend of mine is a SE with a staff of 12. He was told he's losing four but they won't tell him which ones.

What a company.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

From the comments section at the gannett blog:

I didn't think you could lose your job when you were on maternity leave?

12. Mediator

Mediator Member

Wow. Technically maternity leave is short term disability. I thought the same, that you couldn't get canned on disability...

Draft saved Draft deleted