1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

gannett plans to layoff 3,000 by december.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Oct 28, 2008.

1. bp6316

bp6316 Member

You can't be fired FOR going on disability (or maternity). But you can be laid off in a right to work state during that period, but they'd probably have to honor the length of your FMLA period.

2. bevo

bevo Member

Now the blog is saying its Fort Myers closing, not Florida Today. I don't buy this for one second. Doesn't the South Group publisher work in Fort Myers? Can't be doing too bad if the publisher is a group leader.

3. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

What blog are you looking at?

http://gannettblog.blogspot.com/ says 80 are losing jobs at Fort Myers.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

80 is an insane number for a paper that size. That's got to be about half the staff.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I feel like I'm in a bad invasion movie finding out about other cities being destroyed. this is insane.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

In a sense, it is...

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

According to the numbers on the blog, it's 80 of 600 in Fort Myers. And 600 seems pretty high for a paper that size.

8. bevo

bevo Member

It was an anonymous comment in the comment section at Gannett Blog. And the 80 is paperwide, no just newsroom.

9. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

That's what I was getting ready to say. I've worked at a paper similar in size and I can't imagine losing 80 people, even if some of those aren't from the newsroom. That just blows my mind.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe they haven't taken all the truck drivers and custodial people off the books yet like most papers.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's about triple the size I would have guessed.

12. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Detroit may be taking an unexpected hit this week.

Though Detroit News Agency isn't part of Gannett's Community Newspapers division and therefore isn't supposed to be affected in this round of cuts, I'm told that there was a re-org of some high-level management responsibilities yesterday.

Not sure how soon that would trickle down to cuts affecting the rank-and-file, but today's bloodletting across the rest of the chain was preceded a couple of months ago by a management shakeout at just about every community paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted