1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

gannett plans to layoff 3,000 by december.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I talked to a close friend last night who is a columnist at one of the bigger Gannett papers.

I asked him if he thought he was safe and he said he had been assured that he was. He also said that one of the columnists was told three hours before he was let go that "There is no way they would ever let you go." by the ME.

Three hours!!!

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't know what is worse -- an ME lying to someone's face like that or an ME being so out of the loop on a decision like that.

3. Mizzougrad96

I could see a SE being that out of the loop. Lord knows there are tons of them who try to intentionally stay out of the loop.

I think he just flat-out lied.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I could see an SE, but you said ME.

5. VJ

VJ Member

Wait, they laid off Harris Siegel? I'd laugh at the sheer stupidity of that if it didn't mean someone was losing his job.

Just shut down the damn paper.

6. Mizzougrad96

It was the ME.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Could be just a glitch -- unless Mizzou had access to a small nuclear device.

8. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Self-delete. Just changed formats... sorry.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I hope it's not and they screwed up by firing the wrong people and now nobody can use the web.

10. Mizzougrad96

The Times-Union is a much better paper now than it was when I started bashing it six or seven years ago...

Anyway, this is a Gannett thread, not a Morris thread.

11. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

Scott Pitoniak let go in Rochester, a pro's pro, the voice of that area's sports discussion, and one of the all-time nice people in the business. Just horrible. Absolutely horrible. I can't understand how this could appear to be a good business decision.

12. Mizzougrad96

No "decisions" are being made. They're not looking at names. They're not considering whether the person is the best person on staff or the worst person on staff. They're not taking into consideration if that person's job can be done by someone else.

They're looking at salaries and then cutting the highest ones. Period.

Draft saved Draft deleted