1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

gannett plans to layoff 3,000 by december.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Oct 28, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Saw that and cringed...

2. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

Brad Zimanek is out in Appleton.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If that's the case, where's Mitch Albom's name? Seriously.

And this time, Carole Leigh Hutton isn't there to run interference for him.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You don't get rid of someone who is the face of the paper.

Also, most columnists have contracts that would have to be paid if they were canned.

5. giantjay25

giantjay25 Member

Point taken, Mizzou. I was more after the fact that Scott being canned is a complete shocker. He's one of the truly good guys in the biz, and doesn't deserve it. I'm positive there are others out there in the same boat.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

You also don't get rid of people of this quality at your other publications.

And I'm stopping here, Mizzou. I'm not here to argue with you ... that would be trampling on a lot of good people getting booted by a bunch of fools. But I refuse to understand why Albom is safe when all these other good eggs are getting jettisoned.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've spent the last two years bewildered by some of the names that have been forced out, bought out or canned in this business.

Some of the best writers in this business are losing their jobs. If you try to understand why, your head will explode.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Because 90 percent of the Freep readers don't care about the editors, and photogs and deskers. As long as Mitch's name is in print. They eat that shit up.

9. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I don't think it's that. If I'm correct, Mitch is not a full-time employee at the Freep. And if he wasn't there, they would move on, too. The place didn't collapse when Bob Talbert fell ill, and he wrote six days a week for 30-some years. The News didn't turn into dust when Joe Falls and Pete Waldmeir retired.

I think it's more a case of different papers, different axes wielded.

10. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

That was a shock. Usually when Gannett does this, they "terminate positions" rather than terminate employees. Does this mean a massive reorganization is in the works? How else can they fire a sports editor?

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Wouldn't it matter more about what his salary is, rather than if he is is full or part time?

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Never fear, December is here and it's time for Mitchiepoo's Dreams Deferred columns.

Draft saved Draft deleted