1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

gannett plans to layoff 3,000 by december.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Oct 28, 2008.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Didn't see this one on the gannett blog, but it is quite shocking. Do you know if anyone else from Appleton (sports) got the boot? I know a writer there and he really had no clue on his job security.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

As of 2:45 EST, the overall total is up to 946 at 26 papers.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

This year's edition should be a doozy.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Damn that's a surprise! Brad's great guy. He first introduced me to APSE and always proved a valuable resource.

5. kicksave

kicksave Member

No other sports cuts in Appleton.

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i had to return just for this...

couldn't happen to a nicer fucking fuck.

fuck that fucking fuck.

it's a sad day for many things, but for someone who constantly threw others under the bus, at least he got his.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Wow.
    hoops, I'm not clear on where you stand with this?
    What's the beef with the guy?

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

When you took the job did they have the balls to tell you this probably would happen?
    Of course not.
    Assholes. These type of layoffs really bother me. Classless. They interview people, hire somebody and four months later show you the door.

I'm surprised they don't start firing editors and have the reporters manage themselves.
    Oh wait, the butt kissers are the last to go.

9. Sorry, pal. This editor doesn't kiss anyone's ass.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Are you a writer? Your vocabulary and critical thinking seems to be lacking.

Do you really think a sports editor would hire someone because they would get the joy out of firing them in four months?

Nearly all of these decisions are made at levels way above the folks you are venting your spleen about.

Though, henie smooching is always a good career move.

Perhaps you should slather on some Carmex and start getting some job security, Freddie.

11. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Frederick, at this point (and hell, six months ago) anyone applying for jobs in the newspaper industry should have realized a few things:

1. Layoffs aplenty are happening.

2. It could be you ... and it could be three years, three months or three days. We've seen all of them by now.

3. And no offense to the kid who was layed off, but if you'd already worked for a Gannett paper and been laid off once, you should have known it was a possibility, especially at another Gannett paper. If you don't know, you're not paying attention to the business side.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Dream. Singular.

Draft saved Draft deleted