1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

gannett plans to layoff 3,000 by december.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Oct 28, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Also not in the community newspaper group: Glasgow, Scotland.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/dec/03/newsquest-pressandpublishing

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Also, here's a piece from Gannett Blog penned by a now-former employee of the Indy Star on what it's like to suddenly be a former newspaperman.

http://gannettblog.blogspot.com/2008/12/layoff-stories-i-am-newspaperman-well-i.html

3. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Agreed. I've had to let people go, and even for cause it raised all kinds of hell with my body. Anyone who thinks people enjoy firing employees they work with is seriously off base.

On the other hand, people who brag about firing people belong in their own special section of hell.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

The one that shocked me was Orley Hood, who's been their Features columnist for years. Gone, after 35 years at the Ledger, and not by choice. Sports lost Van Dyess, who ran their prep scores desk. He took the buyout, and that's a big loss for them. I also hear Bobby Cleveland is considering retirement.

5. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Anybody heard anything on the Tennessean?

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Agreed.

I told my editor and copy desk chief that everything was fine. It was crystal clear that there was nothing personal involved. The body language was still a little awkward - no surprise - but I knew they felt bad enough.

It had to be a horrible day for them. Good people asked to do a truly crappy deed.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

According to gannettblog, the total is now up to 1,770 with 57 of the 85 Gannett papers accounted for.
    This is sickening

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

It's like waiting on the Election from Hell. The countdown is on for precincts reporting.

Will it ever end?

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

It's an election in which no one gets a recount, your future votes are strictly absentee and there are a whole bunch of dangling Chads. Dangling Toms, Freds, Jasons, Marys, Bettys and Margarets, too.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Was wondering how long it'd take for someone to make a Schulte reference...

11. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

I heard 92 overall in Nashville.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

here's the paper-by-paper tally at gannettblog

http://gannettblog.blogspot.com/2008/10/roll-call-iii-say-goodbye-to-more-of.html

Draft saved Draft deleted