1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

gannett plans to layoff 3,000 by december.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Oct 28, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Considering the institutional memory Gannett is cashiering, I'm figuring the average subscriber will have more general knowledge of what is going on their communities than the average reporter left behind. Not a good move.

2. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Wondering if anyone knew what sports guys were gone.

3. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

After reading this thread all day, and all 20 pages, I must say it's one of the most riveting, yet horrific, threads of my SportsJournalists.com viewing career.

I even cried at times.

So sad.

A Cox sympathizer

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Respectively disagree, but will abide.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be surprised if this "election" didn't settle the issue and there is a "run-off" in a month or so.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I have been told that Jackson, Ms. lost 10 in the newsroom but only one in sports. However that loss in sports was a prep guy who kept all of the prep records and such in the state. Way to go Gannett.

7. Furry Tractor

Furry Tractor Member

The better to mobilize those average subscribers as "citizen journalists," my dear

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought the same thing when Orlando got rid of its golf writer.

9. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

Those are some big losses. Two of their most well-read columnists and a guy who's a walking record book for the state. Yipes.

10. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

From a friend at the paper ...

Amanda Tate, copy editor/designer
    Joe Z (not sure how to spell his last name), copy editor/designer/writer
    David LaRock, copy editor/writer

Apparently, Joe also did a popular fishing column they're not sure how to continue. And David was good writing help on a staff with only two FT writers. He was hired as a part-timer less than 6 months ago. The phrase "universal desk" is being bandied about.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Hearing Indy Star lost 20 in the newsroom, one in sports (veteran copy editor). This is the bloodletting of all bloodlettings.

12. Panhandle PK

Panhandle PK Member

My noob-question of the day is... if they were worried about salaries, why cut a part-timer who just started out? Wouldn't it make more "sense" to keep the PT help and just add their workload? Then again...I get the feeling Gannett doesn't make a whole lot of sense anyway....

Draft saved Draft deleted