1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

gannett plans to layoff 3,000 by december.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Now does anyone want to become a gannettoid?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Often the worst thing that can happen is to get promoted into some cushy job or to land in one when the place is restructured to follow some kind of corporate mandate to create an Information Center.

The jobs with lots of freedom can be great while they last, but when the bottom falls out, the trap door is right under you.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I hate to be this guy, but does anyone know the racial breakdown of the layoffs?
    Gannett prides itself on diversity and has that taken a hit or has it been the white guys getting the ax?
    I'm just kind of curious.
    As far as the salaries go, it is like Occam's Razor of journalism -- follow the money.

4. CRM

CRM Member

Long-time sports shooter Rob Orcutt and his wife Jamie finally had enough of Gannett and lead bosses Mark Baldwin/Mark Treinen after a combined 70 years at the Wausau (Wis.) Daily Herald.

<a href="http://wausaudailyherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=U0&Dato=20081205&Kategori=WDHNEWS&Lopenr=812050803&Ref=PH">Orcutts retirement</a>

A newsroom reporter and a press honcho guy were let go. Another photog is leaving, so they are probably down to one in that department.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Can penicillin cure that?

6. They got nothin' on Newhouse.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Every Gannett paper is talking about "the next round" which is but two months away.

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

yeah. a buddy of mine said they may have another round in Feb. that's insane!

9. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Obviously you haven't been in the business for very long. Gannett has been gutting newspapers for years, my friend.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

How soon they forget.

[​IMG]

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Gannett may not even be the worst newspaper company.

Edit: thanks Starman.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I didn't have a problem with Gannett as long as it was growing (despite their stupid ideas), but now it seems clear that they have been speeding their own demise.
    This guy says better than anyone else: http://roguecolumnist.typepad.com/rogue_columnist/2008/12/the-chickens-come-home-to-roost-at-gannett.html

What is even worse, it appears that corporate seems to have issued a gag order on its locals with regard to sharing the news with its readership.

And what's even worse than that, is that these cuts were announced in October. It's not like the economic news has gotten better since then. It's become much worse. The next round could make this layoff look like a tune-up. Gannett is committed to keeping its expenses at least 10 percent below expected revenues. Businesses are going belly up and cutting back, multiply that by each paper in the chain and it just isn't pretty. The papers won't even have time to absorb the current round of losses before the next ones are ordered.

Draft saved Draft deleted