1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Getting out of the business" resource thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Success story: Down to three days a week doing design as I am working in the mental health field as well. I am two semesters away from my masters in Psychology to become a Licensed Professional Counselor. Going to be a good gig that really incorporates the interviewing skills that helped me in my journalism career. Sad to see that 10 years in the biz and I am about to see it end, but the future just never looked like anything to make a life from anymore.

2. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

"I know about tedium that can lead to mental challenges. I used to design newspapers."

Congratulations to you. Best wishes on future success.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"I know you feel life is hopeless, but it could be worse. You could be depriving kids of scholarships."

Congrats and good luck.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I think this is happening in newspapers and many other fields as well. Somehow the HR departments the past many years have gotten so much power. It used to be if a newspaper sports department had an opening, many times the sports editor (who didn't just go to meetings all day, every day) would fill it on his/her own. He'd know many many people in the business and fill the opening very very quickly. Now, it's HR's ballgame. Very strange how that all happened.
    I know somebody who works part time in PR for an organization and they have an opening and want to hire him full time. They told him how to apply to try to make sure HR recommends him for an interview. Even though he already works there. Even though the bosses want him, he has to pass the mustard with HR. Very very bizarre world we now live in.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am trying to get out, even though I still could work at the Plain Dealer, dammit.

If you are applying for jobs outside of journalism (and sports), I have found that it has helped to scrub all the sports off the resume as much as possible.

So instead of covering the Podunk Plodders minor-league baseball beat, you are using your communications, web, video and social media skills to keep the audience informed of up-to-the-minute news on a local professional franchise (or some such).

You aren't designing the sports section six days a week, you are working with stakeholders to produce an attention-grabbing web and print product in a fast-paced environment.

Anyway, you've got to use the words the businesses use. They don't understand what we do. We probably work harder and can handle more than most communications or PR people or whatever, but they talk a different language.

And they just think you "Get to go to all the games."

The most important thing is to get someone to flag your resume or reach out to the hiring manager. It's very difficult to even get an interview if you just apply electronically to a big company and wait to hear. Work it.

Good luck.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

FYI,

Just accepted a job in the business world working communications for an insurance company. Less than a week left in sports journalism.

That aside, I got nowhere till I scrubbed the (very impressive, I thought) sports stuff off my resume and just focused on skills we all have to some extent -- communications; project management(ish), directing staff, handling budget (freelancers), working with other stakeholders (photo, design, marketing, advertising), deadline performance, web stuff, photo, video, etc.

These are all valuable skills. You just need to translate them to whatever job you are looking for. I almost blew my interview when they asked about graphics and design skills. I said that wasn't my strength, but I could manage.

I was thinking newspaper or web design. They wanted to know if I could work Power Point.

ALSO, and this goes double if you are looking for a job outside sports journalism, you've got to find someone to flag your resume or make direct contact with the hiring manager. Ideally, you can get your name out there before a job is even posted.

Only interviews I ever got were when someone flagged my resume and I had already received the "thanks, but we are looking at other candidates" email from HR for the job I eventually landed.

Good luck,

Ace

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That's great news, Ace. Good luck at the new gig.

You'll have a job — and, more importantly, a life outside of work — when they finally close the Plain Dealer, dammit.

8. How does one go about getting a research position as an epidemiologist or virologist? Not looking at more schooling, and have one biology class under my belt as an undergrad. Chance me.

9. 1GreytWriter

1GreytWriter Member

I have an interview tomorrow for an online marketing position. The salary is about where I want it to be, I would learn some new skills to build on my part-time social media gig (and the job itself includes social media management and strategy) and the managers seem eager to train and mentor the right person to bring them up to speed.

I've only had interest from two other employers in a little over 30 applications. One phone interview, after which I decided I wasn't that enthused by the job, and one interaction with a recruiter who sent my resume to the hiring company and then disappeared.

I feel decently prepared; just wish a couple of friends (one in journalism and two who never have been in the field) wouldn't stop trying to make me miserable by telling me things like "Don't ever expect holidays off" and "I never get a day off." I am screening for balance for my next position, but so many other factors are contributing to me leaving the field. I wish people could just be supportive, but at the same time, it's not going to take away my relief/excitement of having an interview, even if the job doesn't pan out.

10. Leaver?

Leaver? New Member

As a formerly employed Journalist seeking employment in an office based environment, how do I translate my newspaper experience to competencies useful in office.
    Some of the buzzwords mentioned already are deadlines, project management, any more?
    Reason I ask, is I wonder do non-newspaper people grasp what happens in newsroom, or do we know how to communicate these 'competencies' etc.
    I am struggling a little with putting them to paper on a resume. Any tips appreciated.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Leaver,
    Unless they have been in the business, assume they think you "get to go to games" so make your resemble or talking points reflect your skills that match the position.

Say it's web marketing and you are a reporter. You have marketed and branded your content. You have identified and tapped into subjects of interest in your community of on your beat. You have used metrics to identify hot issues and trends. You are an expert at social media. You worked with advertising and marketing department to develop opportunities (maybe coordinated football tab). Comfortable presenting to and interviewing leaders (not everyone has this skill). Etc....

12. 1GreytWriter

1GreytWriter Member

The job I interviewed for last week I ended up not getting. I felt pretty good about the rapport I had with the hiring manager, but I also sensed I was underqualified anyway. I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

I was hoping to be employed elsewhere by the end of the year, and while there's still time, I know the chances are going to be less likely as the holidays are coming.

I'm very fortunate that my company has an EAP I can sign up for, and I may as well take advantage of it while I'm working there because if nothing else, it will give me some ideas and advice on how to stay sane while I continue my search and I have the benefit at work. I can't seem to shake the depression and blows to my confidence over this whole thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted