1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Getting out of the business" resource thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Aug 2, 2008.

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Very jealous.

I will burning though my 401K after unemployment runs out, if I don't secure a job first.

I'm assuming a layoff will come any month now. Really would be surprised to still be employed at this shop in 2025.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

My review was so-so. I’d improved somewhat in the last year but not enough.

There was an incident a few weeks ago when I almost walked off the job. There was a situation where there was an emergency of sorts (I can’t go into too much more detail than that). Someone on Twitter asked a question about a service change we made. There are very specific words we can and cannot use in these situations. I asked my supervisor for guidance about how to respond. I responded exactly as he suggested. He saw the Tweet, said we never use that word. That he was deleting it and redoing it himself. I said he replied exactly as he told me to but he said he didn’t say what he told me.
    A few hours later, I asked one of my coworkers who witnessed the whole thing if he said what I thought he did and my coworker said yes.
    Next time this happens I’m walking off the job.

Draft saved Draft deleted