1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glee

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, May 20, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm somewhat torn Sue Sylvester has redeeming qualities.
    Glad Artie got some screen time.
    Didn't miss the wife and guidance counselor at all.

And Defying Gravity is one of those songs that works for me every time. Seeing Kurt sing it was a great twist.

I can't believe disabled rights activists were complaining about this episode. I know this show will get a Peabody, this might be the episode that is honored.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

See, Kurt singing it was weird to me. When he goes high register, his voice is too thin. Rachel can belt it more.

Then again, I've never heard it before tonight (sorry, HC!) but it was a great song.

3. DanOregon

The lyrics actually worked better for Kurt, though the song works for pretty much the entire cast being outcasts, and joining Glee not caring what anyone else thinks.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

The twist was pretty obvious about 20 seconds before Sue walked in her sister's room, but it was still well-done. That said, I'd hate to see this show tread dangerously close to "everyone's-got-a-heart-of-gold" territory. Sometimes there's nothing wrong with laughing at someone who is just a terrible human being with no heart.

And yeah, I don't see how anyone could think tonight's episode denigrated handicapped people. The inclusion efforts, for lack of a better phrase, are authentic and not insincere or condescending. And Artie's last line to Tina made it abundantly clear the handicapped characters are given just as much depth--and their plights just as explored--as anyone else on the show.

5. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

...wha....wha....wha....wha.............WHAT?! Dear god, you need to immediately find the version from Wicked and listen to it. There's a single that Idina Menzel released and her duet on the OBCR with Kristen Chenoweth (who was also on Glee). You think Rachel Berry sings the crap out of this song? You should hear Idina's version.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm too jealous of Idina Menzel to listen to her sing. She got my Taye Diggs! :D

7. DanOregon

I'm jealous of Taye Diggs.

Anyone not familar with the song should check it out on YouTube. I saw Shoshana Bean do it when the show came out this way - and she nailed it as well.

8. Edit: I made a big argument against this episode, which Dan rebutted well. I felt bad about bitching so hard on stuff people like in a thread for people who like it. So, redacted. You guys keep on enjoying.

9. DanOregon

If this was the first episode someone saw I could understand taking offense - but this show has mocked and teased every member of the cast - usually aiming for the one thing that character is most sensitive about.
    And I think the point of putting everyone in the wheelchair for the final number wasn't to take it lightly but was meant to spotlight Artie's singing ability, instead of standing out because he's in a wheelchair. Though, I didn't think it was one of the stronger numbers the show has done this year, vocally at least.
    And the fake stutter thing hurt Artie because he thought of her stutter as a bond he had with her. It gave him confidence.
    Anyway, I'm way to into this show and I'm not going to try to convince anyone to keep with it - I've had too many people keep trying to get me into X-Files and it never took.

10. That's interesting stuff, Dan. We didn't take the number that way, but it's because it hit us both as very off-putting (I did get the "bond" conversation, but maybe missed something said about the first thing?).

And by all means be into it; I can see it's charm I just don't think it's for me. Anytime you're watching a show built around songs, if your reaction is, "Get on with it, I'm tired of singing," it's probably time for me to find something else.

I've never made it through an episode of "Lost" but when I introduce someone to "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" and they don't flip, I'm stunned. Takes all kinds.

11. bwright

bwright Member

I hated the Sue thing. It felt like such a break from her usual character. I know that's the point, it's supposed to be a twist, but I just didn't find it believable.

I did really like when she was being hard on the new cheerleader and explained to Schu she wasn't going to treat her any differently than anyone else.

12. EE94

EE94 Guest

I agree. That's where MASH went off the rails; Hot Lips wasn't a bitch anymore and Charles was a good guy deep down. Losing the Frank persona killed MASH. I'd prefer Sue to remain one-dimensionally absurd. The Cheerio auditions were great. "Are you kidding me?"

Draft saved Draft deleted