1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glee

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, May 20, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Re: Ratings for Fox's 'Glee' Hit the Roof

Too bad "Jericho" didn't have an "Idol" or "DWTS" lead-in when it came back from hiatus. It might still be on the air.

2. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Who knew that a show that followed a dysfunctional high school glee club, complete with stereotypical characters straight out of a John Hughes script, would turn into a major phenonmon, one that spawned CDs, a national concert tour and a performance at the White House? Certainly not the show's co-creators, Brad Falchuck and Ian Brennan.

"I thought that it would kind of be like a niche hit that was good and people liked," Brennan said. "But, somehow it just struck a chord with people, and that is a real, real pleasant surprise."

What might come as a real surprise, however, isn't the ratings success or number of record sales, rather a "real world" change that has been occurring in schools around the country.

With increasing educational budget cuts sweeping the nation, arts education is often one of the first programs to get slashed. Just as 'Glee' was airing on Fox Tuesday night, the community of Fowlerville, Michigan announced it would be cutting band and art programs due to budget reductions.

In steps 'Glee.'

"I actually heard from a guy who worked I think in the public school system somewhere in Washington state and he was like yes, we're having tons of problems," Brennan said. "He was like the one thing no one is touching now is Glee Club, which is such a fascinating blow back from this show."

An elementary school principal in Utah sees 'Glee's' musical message as a way to inspire students to sing, despite the fact that their budget has no place for choir.

"It's a great teaching opportunity to get two songs and mash them together like they do on the show," the principal told the Salt Lake Tribute. "It would be an awesome thing to find the right parent who could form a glee club and do some modern music."

While most prime-time programming is filled with cookie cutter procedural dramas and a seemingly endless number of 'Law & Order' spinoffs, all merely teaching kids how to dispose of a dead body, 'Glee' has quickly turned into a show advocating for a positive change in America, even while maintaining its cotton candy sweetness.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Sofa_Snark_Glee_Could_Save_Arts_Education_20100414

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I hate that fucking show.

4. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Is this topic Sports or News?

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

There's probably some news value but we do have a whole Glee thread so I will toss it in there.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

This principal sounds like he has a future in management at a newspaper!

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Last number saved tonight's show. Not that great overall, though it did have a couple of good lines.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Why am I not shocked you're a Glee fan? :D Not that there's anything wrong with that.

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Yup, although I am SUPER PISSED that they cut out Jonathan Groff's solo from LaP. What is the point of having him join New Directions if they're not going to show his solo? SERIOUSLY.

The rest of the show tonight was just special. TOTALLY looking forward to the return of Cheno next week!!!

10. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I loved the vogue video. Who knew Jane lynch had that in there?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Jane Lynch makes that show. She's hilarious.

12. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i love her

Draft saved Draft deleted