1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glee

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, May 20, 2009.

1. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Every time Kurt and Bert have a scene together, it's reach for the tissue time.

Tonight was a pretty solid night for songs.

2. BRoth

BRoth Member

Just caught this week's episode. While I'm still enjoying watching the show, I'm kind of losing interest when they have five or six songs in a show. I realize that they're making easy money from them, but I miss the episodes from the first half of the season when they'd have two or three songs per episode and they'd all be great.

3. I'm with you. It's getting to the point where more songs suck than rock, which is a problem when you consider what the show is really about. And they are screwing too much with the characters, too early. Save it for season two when I expect a show I like to take a nosedive.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I do wonder about the constant pairings and repairings of the characters - it's like Rachel, Quinn and Santana are a merry-go-round. Don't know what they're doing with Schuster's ex, but I do enjoy Kurt's episodes. Maybe his stuff is just better written or the actor is probably the emotional center of the show - but the scenes between he and his dad kill just about every time. "Nobody who sings a song like that is fine" is a great line.

5. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Completely agree. And Dan touches on a very important lesson that I hope the writers soon grasp: the more you send these characters on a dating merry-go-round, the more their interactions with one another ring false.

What makes Kurt and his dad's scenes so emotional are, of course, good acting, but also knowing the audience buys that these two people truly care for one another.

Another similar relationship is Will's with Finn. Although the writers have shied away from this pairing since returning from the break, Will's protective and paternal behavior (especially in light of Finn's situation) -- and how Finn accepted it -- created a very strong foundation of empathy for both characters. Each have built upon that, but risk losing it unless this touchstone relationship is re-kindled.

When characters don't have someone or something to center them (with the exception of Puck, who is sort of the show's id), viewers struggle to see actions as anything more than a exploitative plot point.

Sorry, I get theoretical and high-minded when I get tired.

6. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Idina and Lea Michele need to sing together more. "I Dreamed a Dream" was absolutely GORGEOUS.

As was "Dream On" with NPH and Matthew.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The wife left the last show on the DVR and I wanted to see NPH. I really liked the "Safety Dance," mainly because I love than song.

8. DanOregon

So what was the deal with Rachel and her Mom. Idina Menzel has been denying being her mom from the beginning, even the producers said "she's not the mom." Now she's the mom? I get game playing, but is Menzel's character trying to get Rachel to think she's her mom?
    signed,
    Disappointed they didn't use The Dream Police.

9. EW reported today that Glee has been picked up for season 3 as well.

10. DanOregon

Forgot to mention I enjoyed seeing Molly Shannon and John Michael Higgins in the last ep. I know Shannon's been on before, but I hope they bring both back for more. Higgins was an extra bonus considering his work in The Break Up.

11. Every time I see Molly Shannon playing that same character she always plays, I start to cringe and feel a little embarrrased for her.

12. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I want more John Michael Higgins; the guy slays me in everything.

"And do me a favor, will you? Just get out of those pepperoni sticks. I just wanna hold it."

Draft saved Draft deleted