1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glee

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, May 20, 2009.

1. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Completely agreed. Plus, they should pick numbers that really play to the strengths of the actors, who are much, much better than middling pop singers. Singing Lady Gaga isn't near as impressive as Lea belting out Don't Rain on My Parade or Chris' Rose's Turn.

Plus, I'm an old soul despite my age. They can do all the Queen they want because what they've done, they've really done well. (Somebody to Love, which is one of my favorite songs EVER and I have eight different versions of it, was one of the ultimate highlights of the show, imo.) I'm hoping for some more Beatles tunes, some more Rat Pack/standards type music and, of course, more showtunes.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I had no problem with the Britney episode, though I did like "Stronger" and songs that they presented in "Glee" form as opposed to simply redoing the video. And doing an episode like this, it keeps it fresh for when they do older acts like Billy Joel. Variety never hurts.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd love to see some Ben Folds on the show.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh man. Can you imagine the storylines around a performance of "Brick?"

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I really should start watching this. My wife loves it. My 7-year-old kid loves the music. She's a little young for the show, but she has three CDs with songs from the show -- Glee 1 and 2 and the Madonna special. (Ok, I'm a bit unnerved hearing her and her cousin sing along with Like a Virgin, but I don't win every disagreement with Mrs. OOP.)

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I was actually just thinking this the other day. He would have been an amazing choice as their random "piano player guy".

7. Wenders

I was watching an episode of Gilmore Girls and he was playing the piano in this one episode (the one where Kirk plays Tevye in the elementary school's production of Fiddler on the Roof). I did a double-take, then had to call my other friend who loves Glee and GG and go, "OMG IT'S TINKLES!!!"

8. outofplace

I do have a question for the fans of the show. I've only seen a couple of episodes. Is it always kind of over-the-top, fully aware that the quality of these performances is way out of a normal glee club's league?

A friend of mine played piano for the glee club at my college, so I saw them perform a couple of times. They weren't bad, but it wasn't anything like the show.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

10. Wenders

Most high school glee clubs aren't going to have a Broadway star as the female lead, or a Broadway star as the teacher.

Last year, they were all on Oprah right before the April premiere and brought in a real high school glee club and they were pretty amazing. Most glee clubs that are really in another dimension is because they are really good at harmonizing and don't play to the strengths of one club, but rather to the group as a whole.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ahh shit. OOP is into the show. Glee has jumped the shark. :)

12. outofplace

Ha. You're safe so far. I've only seen a couple of episodes and I don't watch regularly. My family does, so I'm sure I'll get sucked in eventually.

Draft saved Draft deleted