1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glee

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, May 20, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I suppose that's where the "dumping lighter fluid on the piano" comes in, no?

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yeah, but Quinn did that, didn't she?

She may have been a Cheerio, but she's about as far from one as can be imagined now.

Hey, I'm quicker than most to push "suspension of disbelief" than most. If it sticks out to me ...

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This is a show, after all, where teenagers write radio-friendly pop songs two hours before the competition and then perform them with complicated choreography and the backing of a nameless band that seems to have Beethoven's ear for picking up music, all with little to no practice.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I don't care if they follow Mr. Shue around for no apparent reason. The more screen time, the better.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

No. Quinn threw the cigarette. The Cheerios were the ones circling the piano squirting fluid all over it. I don't have hulu+ so I can't look it up, but I'm 99 percent sure. That's why Santana got kicked out.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The show is getting kind of "meh" for me - it took me until this morning to watch it. I understand that they view Will, Emma, Sue, Kurt, Rachel and Finn as their moneymakers, but I could really do without them for a good half of the season. Any sort of storyline involving them has been done to death - how many times have we now seen Will and Emma trying to make it work? Sue destroying the glee club? Kurt and Rachel being fab-u-lous? Finn and Rachel being in love and being miserable?

I wish they'd just forget those folks, and focus instead on the complimentary characters. Brittney, Santana, Mike the Dancer Dude and Puck are now probably my favorite characters on the show, because they actually get fun scenes and lines to work with. Enough with the whiny "everyone hates glee club!" shit - It would be nice to see them actually liked by the school for a bit.

7. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I know that Mike is going to be getting some significant screen time, because they cast his parents over the summer.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Sesame Street does "Glee":

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Somewhat reluctant bump.

I thought tonight's episode was the best in awhile. The whole West Side Story arch was a dud. I was happy to see them move on, and the mash-up episodes are always enjoyable. It's the first time Mr. Schuster has sung a song in about a year that didn't make me want to put a fork through my hand.

Still watching this show more out of obligation than enjoyment most weeks. But this week was better.

10. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I don't know, I enjoyed the West Side Story stuff because they gave Mike something more to do (the scene where only his mom showed up to the play about broke my heart). I don't like how inherently manipulative the script is at times but the music tonight was top-notch. It's about time we got a Schue/Shelby duet.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think Glee might be played out at this point. I like that they're finally going with something beyond the Emma-Will and Rachel-Finn drama every god damn week, but I cringe at the scenes involving Puck and Rachel's mom; just uncomfortable to watch. Heck, I'm even tiring of Jane Lynch at this point.

It was also weird to see Kurt's dad yelling at Will that they had to go negative, although it did give more depth to Santana's character. The best part of the show is the side characters, with Santana, Brittney and Mike Chang at the top of my list for this year.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I thought the season started slow, but I'm loving it now. The thing with Glee, imo, is that they can't go too far in terms of artificial, contrived, hysterical drama. Early in the season, it looked like they were just going to give us some fairly simple stuff, but the Quinn/Puck/Rachel's Mom stuff is exactly why I like the show.

I hope they really send Quinn off the deep end before the end of the season. She's already crossed the line into essentially being a sociopath.

Draft saved Draft deleted