1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great food stops

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Jan 9, 2023.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Holy shit, you are not exaggerating.

Big fire burning in Lancaster County, Pa.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I’m Italian and grew up surrounded by Italian food.

Outside of my grandmother’s risotto, the best Italian meal I’ve ever had was at a roadside hole in the wall in North Pole, AK, called the Elf’s Den.

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Cozy Cafe, PCH, Redondo Beach

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Tacos El Bronco - the truck not the restaurant.

5th Avenue, Sunset Park, Brooklyn.

6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
    TigerVols likes this.
  7. jr/shotglass

I could have eaten for three hours last night at Shady Maple. Seafood night, and they had about 20 seafood dishes. It was actually better than I expected, and I'd been there quite a few times in the past.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Los Tacos No. 1, across from Grand Central, NYC.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

On the Cape. Mac's Seafood (located in Wellfleet and Chatham). This is your go-to for fried seafood (and com' on, what else are you gonna eat here) and raw bar. Also the best clam chowder in the area.

10. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Shady Maple's redeeming quality is the quantity you get for the price. So while it may not be that great, you're bound to find something you like and feel like you can eat your money's worth.

The general manager told me there are people who come six days a week, in early afternoon, and that's their only meal of the day.

Hershey, Yoder's and Miller's are priced similarly, but none are nearly quite as big. Though Hershey has (had?) a program for locals where dinner is (was) like $15 and drinks are free.

And none are nearly as good as Dieners, but Dieners' entire buffet isn't as big as the Shady Maple's salad bar.

Yes, obviously I'm a local.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  11. jr/shotglass

To my own surprise, I've never visited Dieners'. But I plan to.

And it sounds a lot like a pretty nice buffet we found on the north end of Lititz: https://www.lititzfamilycupboard.com/

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

You're all making me want to take a sentimental drive down PA 462 and PA 23 and do an Amish country loop. Some day...

Draft saved Draft deleted