1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great food stops

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Couple times a year at least.

One of our favorite places.

Thanks for the recommendations!

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

When I was a kid we used to go to Pennsylvania Dutch Country every year and I told my kids how good the food was. As part of the college tour circuit this fall, we went with my HS senior to Franklin & Marshall and stopped by one of the buffet places on the way out of town (can’t remember which one). It was inedible crap. Even the shoo fly pie.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I hear the Old Hickory House in Forrest Park, Georgia made a decent Diablo Sandwich.
    “Hush puppies Daddy…….”
    “We ain’t got no time for that krap!”
    “Dumb some bitch”

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I don't think it survived COVID, but the Brookeville Hotel in Abilene, Kansas, was an amazing stop. Their menu was simple: Adults get a half a fried chicken, kids get a quarter, cream corn, whipped cole slaw, pickled peaches, mashed potatoes, and the best damn biscuits I've ever had.

Azrael likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

6. three_bags_full

Awesome.

Azrael likes this.
  7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Spike's Keg O' Nails in Grayling, Mich. was always a great stop for a Spike Burger in my days on the road in junior hockey.

spikechiquet likes this.
  8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Never thought I'd see my high school stomping grounds mentioned around these parts. Brookville Hotel was amazing. And is currently trying to get fully reopened with some similar recipes.

That creamed corn is the stuff dreams are made of.

If you make your way through Abilene (it has Eisenhower's Presidential Library and Museum there), Mr. K's Farmhouse (formerly Lena's) is going to reopen later this year after a reno. Both Ike and Mamie were paddled on their birthdays there.

Now I live in DFW and if I need my Brookville fix, I go to Babe's. There's one 3 blocks from my house. I frequently block that fact out for my waistline's sake.

three_bags_full likes this.
  9. three_bags_full

we loved it and ate there pretty often while I was stationed at Riley. We took everyone who came to visit.

Wenders likes this.
  10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Azrael likes this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

micropolitan guy likes this.
  12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Are any of them vegan?

Draft saved Draft deleted