1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great Songs (underrated and long-forgotten category)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by deadliner, Feb 8, 2007.

1. I saw them about 10 times, back to the days when they were The Hallucinations. (They were local.) I'm not exaggerating when I say that, at the top of their form (see Full House) they were as close to being the American Stones as any band ever was. Fiery, frenzied and very, very talented; Magic Dick was a very short notch behind Butterfield and Musselwhite among white harp players.
    Back on topic,
    "Daddy Rollin' (In Your Arms)" Dion. It;s the flip of "Abraham, Martin and John."

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Terrific record. His cover of "Cryin' Waitin' and Hopin'" from the La Bamba movie is great too.

3. I cannot believe I've gone this long. Thank god I listened to Blonde on Blonde in the car tonight.
    Dylan's One Of Us Must Know (Sooner or Later).
    To me, without question, no worse than his third-best song. Released it as a single right on the heels of Like A Rolling Stone and it inexplicably died.
    The introduction of us all to the geniuses that were The Band -- listen to Manuel and Hudson on the keyboards on every chorus.
    Damn, this is a great track.

4. EE94

EE94 Guest

Right Here, Right Now - Jesus Jones

5. EE94

EE94 Guest

Levon - Elton John

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Madman Across the Water and Indian Sunset are underrated Elton John songs.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I remember that song for being one of the slowest-building big hits in memory. It took about five months to climb the charts from no. 100 to no. 2.

What a great, slice-of-the-era song that is. Soundtrack to the second half of my senior year of HS. Had a great "B" side too in "Move Me."

Jesus Jones was supposed to be the next big thing, but I'm not even sure if they released a second album.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Underrated Don Henley song: "Talking To The Moon."

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

"Madman Across the Water" is an underrated album. "Razor Face" is another worthy underrated track.

10. EE94

EE94 Guest

"Social disease" is a great tune off the Yellow Brick Road album

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

"Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" is chock full of them: "Harmony," "Grey Seal," "I've Seen That Movie, Too," "All the Girls Love Alice," "The Ballad of Danny Bailey": and, for some reason, "Funeral For a Friend (Love Lies Bleeding)" never gets its due, probably because it's not a three- or four-minute formulaic piece.

"Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy" comes very close, but "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" is likely EJ's best album.

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

U2 - "Heartland", from the Rattle and Hum album.

It's about the heartland of the USA. Not incredible lyrics, but the music is amazing.

Draft saved Draft deleted