1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great Songs (underrated and long-forgotten category)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by deadliner, Feb 8, 2007.

1. keef spoon

keef spoon Member

"Rocket Queen" by Guns 'n Roses (particularly the final two minutes after the tempo change) is their best song, IMO

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and you are entitled to that opinion, as wrong as it may be. :D

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Rocket Queen is OK, but the two most underrated G'N'R songs are Mr. Brownstone and My Michele.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

a coupla good calls there zeke.

i'm not one to bust anyone's ass for taking drugs, i mean shit, do what ya gotta do, and if it hurts nobody else, more power to ya. but damned that axel rose for screwing me out of another decade of quality tunes.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

--All Night Long, Rainbow
    --Cinderella Man, Rush
    --Jimmy Jones, The Vapors

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm not sure it's possible to underrate the greatness of Mr. Brownstone. I know it was never a single, per se, but it has gotten loads of airplay even nearly 20 (!!!!) years later. That song...that's another top five song all-time. I was in the middle of a long drive last week and was fading fast when Mr. Brownstone came on. It fucking jacked me up like you wouldn't believe. Awesome, awesome, awesome song that builds and builds and builds. Fuck. I'm all jacked up now.

As for November Rain as Stairway to Heaven...very interesting. I can see that. I can't see it as a last dance staple at high schools around the land, but it's definitely an epic on par with STH.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I have most of those first albums ... EJ and Bernie Taupin had to be fertile music minds to crank out two albums a year as per their record deal in the early '70s. Some really incredible stuff. None of those early hits were merely "so-so" and many of the deep cuts already mentioned are well worth the price of admission.

The remasters of those early albums were well worth it because of some of the extra cuts. I wasn't the biggest fan of "Skyline Pigeon" on harpsichord - the way much of "Empty Sky" was performed - but the piano version as one of the bonus cuts on "Don't Shoot Me - I'm Only the Piano Player" is superb.

8. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Marseilles by Angel City

9. North61

North61 Member

In my time of dying - Led Zeppelin

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

California - Zep

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Two great songs I heard on XM Fred that I had forgotten:

"Who Wants To Go To Heaven" - Gene Loves Jezebel

"Metropolis" by The Church

And thanks to Mr. Friend O' for steering me (inadvertently) back to Graham Parker. I'd forgot what great songs "Discovering Japan" and "Saturday Night Is Dead" are.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

"Feed the Tree" and "Slow Dog", Belly
    "Now It's My Turn", Berlin
    "Rocky Mountain High", John Denver (I'm serious!)

Draft saved Draft deleted