1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guns, the NRA, the constitution and senseless shootings

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Honest questions: How many people actually still feed their families by shooting animals? Aren't there countless other ways to get food?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

People involved in Olympic shooting sports would disagree. So would the millions of skeet, sporting clays and trap shooters.

I own multiple pistols, rifles and shotguns. Their purpose is not to kill other people. I know that because the person holding the weapon is the one who determines the purpose of it.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I almost guarantee you it'll be short lived. Hell they just passed a law to spite NY, which was sending PI's down to buy guns illegally, and then sue those store owners. I think they would burn bibles before they enact tougher gun laws. And many Republicans in the state legislature will run this year on guns, God, and low taxes.

For many, the stance will go from "that's a shame, let's all pray" to "guns don't kill people, people do. Let's not make this tougher for law abiding gun owners."

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Guns only serve to kill? I'll ask my roommate about that at his next family party, which serves venison instead of burgers.

5. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

A gun does two things. A.) Protection. B.) Hunting. Is there much use for it other than that? No. I don't own a gun and I don't live in an area where I feel I need a gun for protection. But if I did live in a dangerous place, I'd want to have that option for my safety. Despite being raised in the South, I was raised by Yankees. We never went hunting. I've never even shot a gun. But my dad is a law enforcement officer, and there's been a gun in my house since the day I was born. I've seen it once or twice. I've held it in my hands once, with my dad there to show me how heavy it was. That's about it.

I don't like guns. I don't own a gun, nor do I ever want to own one. But that doesn't mean that others who own guns (for hunting or protection) should be vilified for owning a gun. There are lots of people who own guns who have never killed a person or shot a person.

6. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

And home and family protection from those summitches who pay no attention to the law and break into your home.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

In rural areas, a lot. Here in Podunkville, Mont., I'd bet between 30-40 percent of people hunt for food. Hell, the meat at the food bank is roadkill deer. I think it depends on which part of the country you live here. Here they do, when I was in Indiana, not so much.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yes. But depending on where you are, wild game is a cheap alternative to buying meat from stores. There are a lot of working poor who still rely on hunting and fishing to stock their fridges.

My father-in-law runs a duck guide service in the Mississippi Flyway. This past season, he and hunters who stayed with him donated more than 500 pounds of duck and goose meat to a local food bank.

9. I'm sure the animals that gave that meat are still alive somewhere.

10. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I think it should be tough as hell for somebody to own a gun. Put in as many hoops for them to jump through. That's fine. I think if you've gotten arrested for a crime, you should be disqualified from owning a gun. But that's not going to keep people from getting guns off the black market.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Course you're far more likely to be killed in a dispute with a family member with that gun you bought for protection than you ever are to use it on a criminal.

12. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Draft saved Draft deleted