1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guns, the NRA, the constitution and senseless shootings

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I pretty much agree with all you just said. I'm just saying, that's going to be the attitude come this fall's elections. Every seat in Virginia's legislature is open this year. I'm sure tougher gun laws just became an issue, especially in northern Virginia where Republicans were already in trouble.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think that will be determined by where today's murderer got his weapons.

3. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

JD -

I imagine there are some people who are disconnected from the world who solely live off the land. I supplement my menu with assorted game birds, but don't subsist entirely off it. I also supplement with fish (catfish, crappie, white bass, walleye). Suggested reading is "Inherit the Hunt" by Jim Posewitz. Most likely won't turn you into an instant hunter, but will give you the hunter's perspective on why we do what we do.

4. Jones

Jones Active Member

Rollins made this point on the other thread, but it bears repeating: Days like today, the rest of the world really does wonder what's the matter with Americans.

Yes, this shooting was the work of one madman.

And yes, there have been shootings in other countries.

But the fact is, mass shootings like these and gun murders in general occur in the U.S. far more than any other country on earth. Why?

Part of the answer must lie in your relatively easy access to guns.

If you don't believe that's true, then the only other explanation is that Americans are far more murderous than any other nationality.

Well, that's pretty hard to stomach. So we're back to the issue of access.

When these shooting became deadlier and more commonplace, I thought -- and most of us watching the U.S. from the bleachers thought -- that gun control would finally be placed on the American agenda, that enough was enough.

For whatever reason, it wasn't. Today's shooting won't change things either.

I wish, however, that it would. I really like a lot of things about America and Americans. But your knack for killing each other isn't one of them.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I know so little about guns, I probably shouldn't even post.

But I've heard stuff, and I'd love if you folks to educate me a little.

Full disclosure: My Dad, who can pretty much do no wrong in my eyes, is a gun owner.

Ok, so here we go -- true or false -- You can walk into Wal-Mart and buy a semi-automatic no questions asked.

6. Incorrect.

7. You're doing a good job organizing the threads, JD.

8. Lugnuts

Can you buy guns at Wal-Mart?

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

At some, yes. But you have to fill out forms that will be sent to the ATF.

10. jboy

jboy Guest

When we say "guns" that's such a general term. I have absolutely no problem banning assault or automatic rifles. You don't need an M-16 to hunt deer or duck. As far as protection, why do you need an M-16 to protect your house? If you live in an area where you need an M-16 for protection you've got bigger problems.

Why can't we put guns that are used for hunting in one category, and guns that are only used for killing a lot of people in another?

As SC said, there are people who have been hunting since they were kids, I see no problem with them owning a gun.

What burns me is when the NRA is opposed to things like banning hollow-pointed bullets that can rip through bullet proof vests because they say it infringes on their 2nd ammendment rights. Bullshit! Why does it have to be all guns or no guns? There has to be a balance in there somewhere.

I don't know if an automatic weapons ban would have stopped what happened today (it sounds like it wouldn't have), but there's no reason to sell guns that shoot 1,000 bullets a second, or whatever.

11. Lugnuts

Is the vaunted "AK-47" a fully automatic or a semi automatic? (Just asking random dumb question most people know the answer to...)

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yes. Fill out some forms, walk out with a 9mm and ammo.

Draft saved Draft deleted