1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guns, the NRA, the constitution and senseless shootings

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Full-auto.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Fully automatic... I am anti-gun, would outlaw them all. Never owned one. Never fired one. Don't see why anyone has to ever fire one. So I have no idea why I know an AK-47 is an automatic weapon.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Only after your SSN is called in to the FBI and a background check is completed. Then depending on state laws, there might be a waiting period.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Oh yeah. Those Olympians are pulling the trigger and out comes pottery, flowers and a porter house steak.

Let me know the greatness of shreading paper with metal.

My bad. You are right. When your roommate was out at his family party, they found a deer. His family pulled the trigger on the gun and it produced such a great hug that the deer felt obliged to jump on the grill in order to be cooked. The deer, of course, didn't die from bullets but the love generated from all the hugging that the family guns produced.

As to hunting... You want to hunt? Get a bow and arrow.

Guns protect nobody. It is a fraudulent argument. It is entirely based on the concept that everyone in the world has a gun and thus drives fear into the potential murderer. It is the same BS argument provided by death penalty advocates.

5. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Jones —

Availablility of firearms is part of the problem. And in Washington, D.C., members of both sides of the aisle KNOW that America is so saturated with firearms that gun control legislation is out of the question.
    Perhaps 10 years ago or so, there were a lot of police departments and local governments offering to buy back firearms from citizens. They thought, honestly, that they were going to rid the streets of AK47s and AR15s and rifles of that ilk, and that all the gamg members would bring in their pieces. What they got were 84-year-old grandmas bringing in Uncle Ed's rusty Mossberg 12 ga. pump that was held together with baling wire and duct tape.
    There are plenty of laws on the books already. Enforcement of these laws is more the issue than restricted the availability. It has been asked why aren't people who commit crimes disallowed from having firearms. They are. It is against the law for a felon to possess a firearm. Yet they do it. They're felons, for crying out loud. They don't care about laws.
    That said, I'm trying to get to 700 posts before I have to go take a photo of a boat dock at a lake. :D

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

n.

Because it's the most used weapon in the world. There literally are tens of millions of them in circulation.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Gun experts -- If the news reports are correct... tell me anything you know about the kinds of guns that were used today, including speculating on which companies make them, etc. Explain "magazines." Somebody said something about the killer "needing to wear a vest to support..." the guns??

What's that about?

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

After a three-day waiting period.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So a guy breaks into your house and threatens to kill you. Having a gun wouldn't protect you?

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Assuming the reports haven't changed, and they're still saying it's a pair of 9mm handguns:

It could be any range of companies from Baretta, to Sig Sauer, to Glock, to Smith and Wesson, etc.

A magazine for a 9mm typically holds 12 to 18 rounds. A person could have a dozen magazines on them, fully loaded. Reload time takes a matter of a few seconds; especially if it's an auto. All you need to do is insert a new clip and close the slide to chamber a round. With a semi-auto, I believe, the slide needs to be closed, then pulled back to chamber a round. This delays reload time by a few seconds.

The vest may have been used to hold the magazines, allowing him easier access. Or it simply could have been a Kevlar vest for protection against being shot.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

11. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

I don't know what he used Lugz. And, it appears as though you got the assignment to write the article for tomorrow's edition. ;D

Also, it appears that opinions on the matter differ depending on location. Those surrounded by concrete, glass and steel would rather see all firearms go away; those surrounded by nature would not.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

You're right! How about that, huh? Of course, your theory is based on the concept that the burglar wakes you out of bed first, informs you that he is going to kill you and promptly waits for you to obtain your gun from whatever location you keep it in.

You then demonstrate cat-like reflexes springing forward and unloading round after round into the evil burglar, who, of course, works alone. All the while you pump lead into the bad guy, your wife remains unharmed and knows the exact hiding space to go in order to avoid your onslaught of metal.

Let us remove the potential child that could be sleeping behind one of the walls the burglar could be standing in front of.

Draft saved Draft deleted