1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy birthday, Jesus

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Dec 25, 2023.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Every Christmas when I worked there, the Dec. 25 edition carried the "Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus" editorial on the front page.

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Had a very enjoyable Christmas since my parents moved nearby - I don't watch much regular television so I geeked out on the football. Only two beers all day. Took my sisters and my parents dog for a walk. Biggest downer was watching the commercials on TV. Say what you want about the commercialization of Christmas, but the pre-Christmas TV ads are far more preferable than the post-Christmas ads which tend to be about money, taxes, getting into shape and your health. Can't we go a couple of days before the resolution crud?

maumann likes this.
  3. bueller

bueller Member

As someone whose birthday was last week, I heard this many times in my childhood: "This is for both your birthday and Christmas."

Inky_Wretch and maumann like this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Yeah - this year my family just kind of blew off my birthday because we were helping my parents move, my folks are getting to the point where they pretty much just focus on the grandkids - which is fine. Hell, my mom had me induced because she needed to get going on Christmas shopping. So I'm pretty much used to it.

not bitter at all......:eek:

maumann likes this.
  5. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

After my supposed Catholic parents separated and later divorced way way back in the mid seventies, at Christmas my mother would make a birthday cake. A "Happy Birthday Jesus" cake. Which was cool since it offset the confused horror of my "Born Again" father telling us we were all going to burn in Hell forever and ever. So this thread title took me to a weird place.
    Still having a great X-mas.

HanSenSE, maumann, garrow and 2 others like this.
  6. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I hope everyone got the day they wanted or close to it.

This time last year I was waking up from having my heart rebuilt. This year, a blowout Christmas was suggested and (gently) deflected. In truth, a lowkey day of good company and enjoyable, small celebrations was perfect. Emily Dickinson is one of my spirit animals, so being home has always been preferable, but it is also something I can never take for granted.

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

My grandmother never forgave my father for ruining Thanksgiving 1953 just as the turkey had been put in the oven. Every Thanksgiving as we went to eat: “You know ____ years ago I didn’t get my Thanksgiving meal.” And I didn’t have alcohol at age nine to make that seem less vicious and psychologically damaging.

maumann likes this.
  8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

So your grandmother and Arlo Guthrie both rode one hit into the ground and just changed the number at the beginning of the song as needed.

2muchcoffeeman, Batman and Hermes like this.
  9. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

@Hermes, that's awful. How old was your dad? Sometimes people need to let stuff go.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

We went on a cruise, so that was everyone's gift to each other. Well worth it.

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

The private (recruit) believes that any answer he gives will be wrong, and the senior drill instructor will only beat him harder if he reverses himself.

Draft saved Draft deleted