1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy birthday, Jesus

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Dec 25, 2023.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The day after Christmas is always weird to me - lists I've been trying to complete for weeks are either entirely crossed off orve irrelevant (though I AM going to put up my Christmas lights today) . And its time for a new list! I tend to take some time before new years - play some music, open a beer and chill out - thinking about where I want the coming year to take me. Not resolutions so much as goals. I've been working so much this past year, my new place still isn't "company ready" - the dining table is still in the box, as are the microwave oven and coffee maker. But I'll get there.
    Hoping to travel some more this year - cross off a couple of more states - took care of Wisconsin last year in a trip that came out of nowhere. Other than that? Who knows. But I will write them down, carry over the things I didn't get to this year, try and plan to get to some of the "life goals" that have been on the list for years (Ireland, France, Australia, Notre Dame, Michigan and Ohio State football games - just for the stadiums),

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Much of the family is in the same neighborhood ... and I did not do Christmas with them. Again.

Probably nothing with the whole clan for the foreseeable future. Not a slight to the immediate family – all of whom I have seen and talked to in the last few days – but no one will tell me what my personal choices are and basically issuing an ultimatum to do what he wants isn't happening. Worse, he started this garbage, has perpetuated it and won't discuss it with his partner, much less me.

So I won't be there. Not a perfect solution, but the least combustible.

maumann likes this.
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

When I was the big guy on the Polar Express train ride in 2016, Santa security was a priority. I kept my outfit in a giant trash bag, I had a Madison Bumgarner-like beard and I wore a ballcap and old sweatshirt when I had to be in public. I called the look "homeless modern." Usually I'd duck into an unused compartment on the train after my duties were done until the last passenger debarked. One time though, a little girl pulled back the curtain a little and said, "Mommy, there's a man in there!" All I could think was, "kid is going to be a heck of a reporter some day."

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Lots of good posts on this thread — glad so many of you enjoyed the day.

My wife and I were happy to have both our young adult kids celebrate Christmas with us … and now that they’re in their 20s, they can enjoy a few glasses of wine or other adult items with us …

Yes, enjoying a “gummy” with my son after a great meal and before playing some cards and old school games like Scattagories took game night to another level! We were all laughing and having a grand old time.

maumann, HanSenSE, MileHigh and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted