1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harry Potter, Deathly Hallows (spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Jul 19, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I seem to remember Mr. and Mrs. Weasley saying they got married quickly because they didn't know if they'd be alive for long, but I did think that harry's parents seemed really young.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Either that or the Contraception Charm failed, and James and Lily had to be quickly married by Dumbledore to avoid embarrassment.

Alright, dammit, that's the last Harry Potter-related sex joke I make on this thread! I swear!

3. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Nope, because the folks who run the HP Lexicon deduced all that a while ago (I think after publication of the second book, when JKR inadvertently revealed that Chamber of Secrets was set in 1992). I've always assumed that since James was independently wealthy, neither of them bothered getting "real" jobs after school, and instead got married and went straight to work for the resistance. They would have both been eighteen at the time and given how well-known they both would have been to individuals who would become Death Eaters, it's not hard to exrapolate that they would have become a thorn in Voldy's side rather quickly.

What this does throw out of whack is my assumption of Neville's parents ages. I'd generally assumed they were not much older than James and Lily, but given that they were accomplished Aurors by the time they ended up in St. Mungo's, and it takes several years to get through the training, they must have been a good 5-6 years older than the Potters.

4. sportschick

You are sooooooo wrong!

And Daniel Radcliff turned 18 this week and is officially eligble for hot boy threads.

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

You're going to start surfing for those pics of him in Equus, aren't you?

6. sportschick

I thought about it, but he's still underaged in those. :D

7. Rowling has said James inherited a large sum of money, so he didn't have to have a job that made a lot of money.
    That's yet one more thing we were supposed to find out in this book -- what Harry's parents did.

8. You know he's only 5-6, right?

9. sportschick

Your point? I'm 5-0 and also have an unhealthy obsession with Elijah Wood, who's about 5-4.

10. I dunno. A guy who is 5-6 is like a woman who is about 4-10.
    To me, that would just be creepy.
    And Elijah Wood I could see. He's handsome and I know women are nuts about his eyes.
    But Daniel Radcliffe? I'm just not seeing it.
    But hey, if he does it for you, then more Potter to you.

11. sportschick

I'm not that much taller than 4-10, ya know.

And Radcliffe has gorgeous eyes as well.

12. Well, I haven't seen you so I don't know if you look like a little girl or not.
    Most of the women I've seen smaller than five feet do look like girls and that doesn't do it for me.
    But hey, you little hobbits can go get married and it might make a cute couple.

Draft saved Draft deleted