1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harry Potter, Deathly Hallows (spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Nah, Aragog said that he had told the other spiders to lay off Hagrid, but that any other humans were fair game (including Ron and Harry when they visited Aragog). Aragog (and all of his little ones) owed life to Hagrid for raising him and finding a place for them, I don't think they would turn around and eat him.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have not read all of the other pages, but here are some of my random thoughts...

My book review would be start at about page 600 and go until the end.

I really did not care for the wedding and tenting around the country side for months. Showers people. How did they take showers? What teens are going to live without a bathroom for that long? I never bought into that.

Dobby taking the knife was tough to read. I liked that little guy a lot.

I was thinking how cool of a movie this is going to be in a few years. The ending battle will be a CGI wet dream.

I might name one of my fantasy football teams the Neville Longbottoms. I thought the climax of the book was Neville lopping off the snake's head. It was all downhill from there for the Death Eaters.

The entire Dumbledore/Harry ending talk kind of dragged for me, but the Snape turn at the end was very good. I also liked how Harry named one of his sons after Snape.

As I reread the ending standoff between Harry and Voldy, I realized how dumb it is going to look on screen with Harry and Voldy yelling at each other for two+ pages of text.

What ever happened to Cho Chang? Single mom 19 years from now? Banging every sailor at high tide because she missed out on Harry?

This all said, I am very happy with the ending.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but it annoys the hell out of me that after 7 mammoth books, 4000-some pages, she's offering epilogues in interviews and webchats.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Whew. Had to wait in line at home to get the book and finally finished it tonight.
    -- It will be a helluva movie.
    -- Ginny's role was seriously underplayed.
    -- Question: Last I saw of the sword, the goblin had it as Gingrotts. How did it get back to Hogwarts? Magic, I guess.
    -- All the camping scenes stalled it. Throughout the middle of the book, I was thinking about "A Series of Unfortunate Events." I read 11 of those and they get so monotonous. Everything constantly goes wrong. Ron's reapperance turned the tide.
    -- I had to read the Kings Crossing chapter twice to figure it all out. And I never figured out what the moaning creature was behind them until I read earlier in this thread, that it was Voldemort's soul taken from Harry.
    Finally, I think the book lived up to its billing. I enjoyed it.
    I'm a little Harry'd out now. I reread 5 in advance of going to the movie. Then I reread 6 to refresh my memory while waiting for 7 to work through my daughter and wife. Now I've read 7.
    Time to go back to reading the sports page.

5. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Same way it came to Harry in the Chamber of Secrets -- the Sorting Hat summoned it.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

So the goblin got punked again, eh?

7. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

While reading Order of the Phoenix, my wife said Rowling made Harry a "little bitch." That, for my wife, is really something.

8. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

The tent has a magically enlarged interior which is more like a small apartment, complete with kitchen and bathroom.

Now, where the plumbing comes from and goes to, I have no effin' idea. (Speaking of effin', Ron's multiple uses of it probably could have been reworked. I can only imagine how many parents are going to face explaining that to their under-10 readers. Of course, I've been seeing fart jokes on the Disney Channel lately, so it may not be that big a deal nowadays.)

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I thought effin' meant "freaking" (blue type)

10. My friend posted this on her blog after finding it in a Facebook group. I thought Harry Potter fans might appreciate it:

*When Neville Longbottom confronts a Boggart, it instantly ceases to exist. Neville Longbottom is afraid of nothing.

*Neville urinates Felix Felicis.

*If Grindewald and Voldemort were to get in a fight, Neville Longbottom would win.

*When Harry and Ginny's children were conceived, Ginny was thinking of Neville Longbottom. So was Harry.

*Ozzy Osbourne bites the heads off of bats. Neville Longbottom bites the heads off of Hippogriffs.

*Neville Longbottom sold his soul to the devil for his rugged good looks and unparalleled bad-ass wizarding ability. Shortly after the transaction was finalized, Neville Expelliarmus'd the devil's ass and took his soul back. The devil, who appreciates irony, couldn't stay mad and admitted he should have seen it coming. They now play Exploding Snap every second Wednesday of the month.

*Nicolas Flamel invented the philosopher's stone. Neville Longbottom invented Nicolas Flamel.

*If you spell "Neville Longbottom" in Scrabble, it's an automatic win.

*The only thing we have to fear is fear itself… The only thing fear has to fear is Neville Longbottom.

*When Voldemort goes to sleep at night he checks his closet for Neville Longbottom.

*Somebody tried to make Neville Longbottom toilet paper once, but there was a problem.... it wouldn't take shit from anybody.

*A werewolf bit Neville Longbottom. Twelve hours later the werewolf turned into Neville Longbottom.

*When God said, "Let there be light," Neville Longbottom said, "Say please."

11. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Wrong. When God said, "Let there be light," Neville Longbottom said, "Say, please, BITCH."

12. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

Two of the books have said the tents were enchanted to be like flats. I imagine they'd have a shower.

Draft saved Draft deleted