1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harry Potter, Deathly Hallows (spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Jul 19, 2007.

1. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

Eragon is like a mix between Star Wars and Tolkein. I'm surprised George Lucas hasn't threatened to sue.

By the way, according to mugglenet.com (Yes, I'm a nerd. Shut up), the character who got the reprieve from death was Arthur Weasley. I'm guessing the ones who died instead were Lupin and Tonks.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Yeah, JKR said Arthur was going to die a couple of books ago, but she couldn't bring herself to do it.

3. I assume she originally had him dying from the snake bite.
    I still wish she had killed at least one of the MAJOR characters in the final book (Harry, Ron, Hermione, even Hagrid). It just seems unreasonable that they all survived.

4. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

Also, to be fair, it's not like everyone isn't influenced by something.

Tolkein, for example, was heavily influenced by Norse mythology, Beowulf and the Nibelungenlied.

5. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

i was ok with the amount of people dying, but there could have been more, like maybe one of the big DA people or hagrid. someone that really would have wrenched at people's emotions outside of a house-elf.

6. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

I was far more upset at her killing off Dobby than I was about Fred, Tonks and Lupin. As for killing off Hagrid, he's half-giant, and in JKR's world, giants are damn near indestructible!

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So how did that work, anyway? Hagrid's pops mating with a giantess?

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Standard missonary position, I suspect.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seems the least dangerous, anyway.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Could have involved a ladder, perhaps.

11. You think Rowling gave some thought to this and went -- a giant father simply wouldn't work with a human mother? He'd split her in two.

12. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

Did anyone else find it weird to find out tat Harry's parents were only 21 years old? Born in 1960, died in 1981. I always thought of them as worldly, accomplished people, but at 21 they didn't have much time to do anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted