1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Health crisis for Mary Lou Retton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Oct 10, 2023.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Was reading Beano Cook's biography and there is a chapter in there about his time working at ABC and befriending Cosell. One day, they were on the topic of Ali and Beano was basically going off like the barber in Coming to America. "I'm not calling him Ali. His name is Clay. If he was standing here right now, I'd call him Cassius Clay." A week later, Cook met Cosell at a restaurant for their standing lunch date and sitting next to Cosell was Ali.

Cook called him Ali and, to Cosell's credit, he never said a word to Ali during lunch about what Beano had been spewing.

Huggy, Inky_Wretch, MileHigh and 3 others like this.
  2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I’ve always liked Costas.
    Cosell always thought he was a bigger deal than what he was.
    He wasn’t a great interviewer.
    He wasn’t even a good broadcaster.

Liut likes this.
  3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

"Beano Cook's biography"

LOL

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Great clip, all of it. Thanks.

I never worked in TV, but I got to meet Bob Costas three times on the job.
    He didn't know me at all, but each time it was like talking with an old friend.

Liut likes this.
  5. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Cosell called Costas a child when he made that remark. ...

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

and who correctly predicted Royals in seven when asked by Michaels just prior to Game 1.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

That was a disgrace to Jackson. Just totally thumbed his nose at the p-by-p man. Despised Cosell from that point forward.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

The Shiteater was often hilarious for its time. But some of the stuff written about Doug Smith, today, would cause a revolt ... and rightfully so.

Oh, also glad to hear Mary Lou is getting better.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'm trying to remember the details, but Cosell interview Henry Kissinger during the All-Star game at the post-reno Yankee Stadium. Cosell mentioned he saw Kissinger at Opening Day. Kissinger insisted he wasn't there. An inning or so later, Cosell claimed he had someone check Kissinger's calendar, which showed he was there.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Myron Cope wrote a brilliant piece on Cosell for SI in the early 70s, with his total cooperation. It was reprinted in the issue with Clinton on the cover.

11. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Cosell's nephew Greg is a senior producer at NFL Films.

12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

And his grandson Colin is the PA announcer at Citi Field (and bizarrely, New York Dragons lacrosse at Nassau Coliseum).

Draft saved Draft deleted