1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Health crisis for Mary Lou Retton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Oct 10, 2023.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

She's high on the list, but Romania did compete in LA, which gave her some worthy challengers. I can't remember if China was a thing yet in gymnastics.

I'm Olympic-dorking here. Some of the fields in weightlifting were just decimated by the boycott. A Chinese and Taiwanese lifter were on the podium in the same weight class, though. I want to say Greco-Roman wrestling was another one, which led to a gold medal for Jeff Blatnik, an American cancer survivor.

1984 was pretty bad, but 1980 was probably worse. The women's field hockey was won by a Zimbabwe squad that was just invited to make up the numbers, and it's probably not a coincidence that the men's 100 and 200 were both won by white guys (Allan Wells of Great Britain and Pietro Mennea of Italy).

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

He set the 2oo wr in 1979 and it stood for 17 years. It took Michael Johnson to break it.
    I don't think it was a phony gold medal.

da man likes this.
  3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I probably should have blue texted that last part, my bad. (Though that 1979 world record was set at altitude.)

4. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

A white guy from Italy held the 200m record until Michael Johnson came along?

Holy shit.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

McDonald's ate a lot of Big Macs during that promotion, thanks to the boycott. Recall one women's swimming race ending in a dead heat, so they had to pay out twice.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Obligatory response:

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I’m gonna spit in every tenth burger.

I like those odds!

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Every second of that was pure gold.

9. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Well it's a commercial for life insurance so ...

Liut likes this.
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm kind of shocked by the request for help with the bills and kind of not. After all, what kind of career could Retton have crafted once she was done competing? Speaking engagements? Random TV show appearances?

11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Skating coach?
    Skate-center owner?

EDIT: Gymnastics, not skating. JFC, this post sucks.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2023
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Whatever other 54 year old women do?

Draft saved Draft deleted