1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Health crisis for Mary Lou Retton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Oct 10, 2023.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Without benefit of the doubt -- unless she had a prenup, she divorced a guy after nearly 30 years of marriage and he's worth millions of dollars. Half that and you should be ok.

I'd also point out that, say three speaking engagments a year would probably be good enough to cover her medical needs

jr/shotglass likes this.
  2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I’m also guessing that she also 1. makes too much money and/or 2. lives in a state that doesn’t have insurance subsidies either.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The USOC should have her on its payroll for life for what she did in 1984.

Even if it's for a no-show job. And it should include health coverage, especially if her injuries are directly related to her training.

She's why that Olympics, and all others since, have been so successful.

Of course that's not the reality, I get it.

I never get a plan but the "Cadillac" plan offered by my employer. It will not cover everything, but it gives me some piece of mind.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2024
    OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, what Wicked just said.

I believe some of her endorsement deals are with insurance companies, at some point in the negotiations her representatives should have demanded she be hired in a "consultant" position which would be covered under health insurance.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You see, those speaking engagements ...

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Yeah, I get that. She's not lacking for the $$$.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It's the only thing here that makes me call bullshit. I really don't think the daughters were clueless to the fact that Mary Lou had a few dollars in her mattress. I'm sure they all were afraid. But you turn to crowdfunding only if you truly need it.

9. Starman

Presumably she had lawyers during the divorce process, the lawyers would be highly negligent if they did not make efforts to make sure her health coverage situations would be addressed in the settlement, particularly if she has indeed faced long term conditions such as hip replacements, etc etc.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It was the nonsensical explanation that gave me pause.

"COVID" (what about it?)
    "divorce" (OK, what about it?)
    "preexisting" (not an issue anymore)

I know the reason, because she gave it away a little later. "But who would even know that this was going to happen to me!?!!??!" she said. Her daughters range in age from 21-28, so at least three of them should be on their own now.

She's 56 years old in two weeks and, by her account, had 30 operations (anesthesia does affect the lungs). That's how it can happen.

Respiratory complications in the postanesthesia care unit: A review of pathophysiological mechanisms.

Then again, I pay $32/month for health insurance. :) Medicare is going to seem like a financial drain by comparison.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2024
    qtlaw and dixiehack like this.
  11. Starman

If she's really had 30 operations, and I certainly don't have any real reason to doubt it, her lawyers would be HIGHLY negligent to not make sure continuing health care coverage would be addressed in any divorce settlement or even estate planning in general.

FileNotFound and wicked like this.
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I pay three times that for a week’s coverage. Funny how hospitals often give their employees crap insurance.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted