1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hiring Writers for CBSSports.com NFL Correspondent Network

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jetssack, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tagline

tagline Member

I'll second everything playthrough said. I could tell a similar story of working my way up to an NFL job from a suburban paper. There's more to the job than having a credential, things you're not going to learn as a BleacherReport correspondent.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Do your parents know you are up so late posting on a strange message board?

3. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Member

Anyone who thinks they will get a foot in any door writing for BR is wrong, among the circles I hang out with they are fast losing their credibility...and trying to get creds for the Super Bowl is one of the toughest things in the world to do...when I was with FOX you nearly had to give a kidney to get one and out of four people we tried to get in, only one was accepted and that was only for outside events not the game itself...careers aren't started by winning contests, good solid writing and paying your dues are what get you in doors....

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

It'll be interesting to see whether they choose people who have actually gone out and covered games, or ones who merely blog about their favorite teams. If it's the latter, I think those folks might be in for a bit of a surprise at the amount of work involved.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

For some of those bloggers, working an eight-hour day at a minimum is going to be tough.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I would have ranked usage of periods as #1.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Andy, please take this to heart: Stop.

8. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

I applaud your effort Moddy, but I think it's a lost cause now.

So, in honor of playthrough, my two cents on the position is that there are a lot of red flags, beginning with the pay. And I feel that it is indeed an insult to the profession as far as the manner of pursuit, dangling the Super Bowl credentials out there like some sort of candy.

9. Moderator1

You do know I meant the other Andy?

10. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

Haven't you read their BLOG, they do work an eight hour day.

Sorry, that one was too easy.

11. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Ha! Yes, I picked up on that. ;D (oops, don't want to confuse you with the smiley face)

12. Moderator1

Just wanted to be sure, I figured as much but, you know, we preach not assuming and double checking in this business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.