1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How did I not know this!???!! Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I wasn’t sure where to put this so I’ll dredge this up.

I made a reference to Seger’s Night Moves on friend’s Facebook post, so naturally I had to listen to the song. I just more realized his line “points all her own sitting way up high” he’s not talking about her pockets. Because he references his pocket points in the previous line I always thought he was using about her pants. But her pockets are definitely not “sitting way up firm and high…”

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

If you are just now getting that lyric, you deserve a cone of shame.

upload_2024-1-26_23-9-52.jpeg

3. Spartan Squad

And I readily accept it. I don’t know what I was thinking.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

@Spartan Squad, I’ll really blow your mind.

“Little Red Corvette” isn’t about a car.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Sure it is. What else could "Your ride is so smooth you must be a limousine" possibly mean?

6. Spartan Squad

Next you’re going to tell me the Kinks’ Lola is a hookup with a drag queen…

7. swingline

Plucked her eyebrows on the way, shaved her legs and then he was a she.

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Had no idea paprika comes from red peppers, thus a staple of Hungarian cooking is native to the new world.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. Spartan Squad

The best line is

Lola smiled and took me by the hand
    She said, "Little boy, gonna make you a man"
    Well I'm not the world's most masculine man
    But I know what I am and I'm glad I'm a man
    And so is Lola

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Prince was 24 when he recorded “Little Red Corvette”
    ... and it remains the greatest song about casual sex ever written. ...

[W]hat makes “Little Red Corvette” so great is how seriously it takes casual sex: It’s awash in ambivalence, vulnerability, and fear. It’s not about sex as fun—or at least it’s not just about that, but rather about the entirety of the act: its physical, emotional, psychological, even spiritual dimensions. And uniquely, “Little Red Corvette” isn’t really about anything other than sex. The song is resolutely uninterested in love, relationships, or fulfillment in anything but the most primal, desperate sense, and as such brings a radical honesty to one of the most fundamental and complex of human interactions.

“Little Red Corvette” achieves all this by reviving one of the great subgenres in pop—the car song—and linking it to one of the other great subgenres, the one-night-stand song. “Little Red Corvette” is the story of someone who finally got Sally to slow her mustang down, but now all he can do is wonder if she’ll still love him tomorrow. Car songs are usually just songs about girls, with a built-in objectification that veers too easily into misogyny. From Robert Johnson’s “Terraplane Blues” through Chuck Berry’s “Maybellene” and even the Beach Boys’ “Little Deuce Coupe,” the car is fast, beautiful, and dangerous: You want it, but you know you should know better. Car songs are songs about lust.

11. swingline

Don’t feel bad, anyone. I just figured out how to do all caps on my phone.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

What I learned yesterday:

Kate Middleton's paternal grandmother, Valerie Glassboro, was an instrumental member of the Bletchley Park crew that broke the German's Enigma secret coding system in WWII.

Kate is portrayed as being smart as a whip in the "Crown" series. Now I see where she got her smarts.

garrow likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted