1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How did I not know this!???!! Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Apr 3, 2018.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

So many people do not know that if you are stopped at a red light, you can turn left, across the opposite lane of the traffic, onto a one-way street. At least you can in Oregon. Bugs the shit out of me when people just sit there waiting to turn when there is no one on the one way.

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

California is the same thing. But unless you’re in one of the big cities, there’s very few places to use it. For where I typically drive, the only place I run into this is by San Jose State. Most of the other one way meets a one way have stop signs where I drive.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I can't find the right thread to put this on, the one about "I didn't know he/she was in that?"

BUT ...

The guy who plays the competitive brother in the Mayhem insurance commercials is the same guy who tries to lecture Matt Damon in the bar in the scene where he meets Minny Driver in "Good Will Hunting."

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Also known as Cyril O’Reilly from HBO’s Oz. He was great in that role.

He and Dean Winters are real-life brothers, too.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  5. John

John Well-Known Member

He also reprised the role in a Jay and Silent Bob movie.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Just learned that Capri is an island.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Where did you think Capri Sun came from?

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Procter&Gamble

9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Wow, good on him, right? His résumé is now complete! :)

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I am 48 years old, grew up in MN, lived in NYC for 20 years and I...did not know this! And explains something that baffled me. Was back home in January and took Dad to a Timberwolves game. Took absolutely forever to get out of the parking lot. As we get to the exit, all the cars in front of us are just turning left on red and both of us were confused and mildly outraged. "Look at these idiots! What are they doing!" When I got there I did it only because of peer pressure--"Everyone else is doing it, Dad!"--but now, looking back....it was onto a one-way and there was nothing coming the other way. So those folks were simply following the law.

Huh. For some reason my driver's ed in rural Minnesota didn't tell us this!

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

You can wade there and not get your Capri pants wet, Mom.

garrow likes this.
  12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I remember studying that in my state driver's ed book but there was maybe one place in the whole state where this applied. But you gotta be careful because some states won't let you even turn right on red.

Draft saved Draft deleted