1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If it ain't broke, fix it anyway: NASCAR 2017 Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Taking a page from golf viewers ... NASCAR fans spotted Chase Elliott's team cheating, or trying to cover it up.

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/nascar-team-penalized-for-wing-mod-after-fans-call-out-1818575233

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Sports fees soar above ad revenue estimates, bringing back bubble fears

According to the graph in the attached story, ad revenue for NASCAR broadcasts is $200 million, a cool $620 million shy of the rights fees. For every $4 FOX and NBC give to NASCAR, they get back $1 from advertisers.

And that doesn't take into consideration the cost of airing the races.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Man - these pro and college sports leagues and conferences are in for a world of hurt when they realize how little people will be willing to pay to watch their product when it isn't subsidized by tens of millions of other cable users. I imagine ad revenue is a bit healthier for other sports - but NASCAR better figure out how to make it work with $150 million in TV money, because that is about what their rights will be worth when it comes up.

franticscribe and maumann like this.
  4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I don't have time to read the story... does that include ad revenue brought in by all the ancillary NASCAR programming on FS1 and NBCSN? It might make things just a little better.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Next year the Brickyard 400 is moving to early September as the last race before the playoffs, and IMS officials are hanging their hats on getting away from the sweltering late July as a big factor for getting some fans back.

Well, it's late September and we're on a run of 90-degree days in Indy that's got several more days to go.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Brickyard 400 to me is like the Green Monster seats at Fenway. As a one off novelty, fine. But those are lousy seats from which to see a ballgame and the Speedway is a boring track for NASCAR. People catch on.

7. Brickyard is a GD parade when it comes to NASCAR races. It's a shit race.

8. playthrough

No argument here. But as mentioned earlier, that mother of all TV deals makes it a runaway hit for IMS. Selling 30,000 tickets sounds like a disaster but to the track that's just icing on the cake.

9. Michael_ Gee

I believe low attendance in person hurts TV ratings quite a bit. If the person at home (let's call him me) sees a lot of empty seats when he clicks on a game, race or whatever, it makes it seem much easier to skip. It can't be that important or entertaining if other people won't take the time and trouble to go see it in person.

10. playthrough

I don't disagree with that. But the big turnoff, to me, is the broadcasters saying it's a great crowd when it's so clearly not.

11. Michael_ Gee

That doesn't help either.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It's really not ... go read an annual report for SMI. This assumption that ticket sales are "icing on the cake" is woefully misguided.

Draft saved Draft deleted