1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If it ain't broke, fix it anyway: NASCAR 2017 Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jan 23, 2017.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Had to look it up -- Petty did drive Chevys, but not for too long. Great trivia -- he drove seven makes in Cup (Plymouth, Dodge, Olds, Buick, Pontiac, Chevy, Ford).

But yeah, that sounds like an alignment for survival, not so much for teaming up.

If Danica can't get in with Ganassi or Andretti (which sounds like it has a full lineup), I'm not sure how Indy will happen.

Vombatus and maumann like this.
  2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Petty ran Pontiacs for most of the '90s I think.

Also, it's sad to see that team holding on as it has for 30 years. When Richard goes, I hope Kyle or whomever makes the call shuts it down.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

It's a shame we never saw how the late Adam Petty would have done in the top circuit; I think he was 19 or so when he died in New Hampshire. He might have had to jump to another race team at some point, a la Junior, but it would have been good to see him carry on the family name.

Vombatus likes this.
  4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Yes, Adam was going to be the legacy hire, sort of in the same way Dale Earnhardt assumed Junior would take over at DEI when the Intimidator retired. He never got that chance, and Teresa and her stepchildren didn't see eye to eye, and we know how all that turned out.

In my few conversations with Kyle, it seems like he'd have been happier just to be a musician or in some other line of work, rather than running the family racing business. But when Adam died, Richard and Kyle didn't really have a Plan B. Richard was forced to sell the team to Boston Ventures in 2008 or shutter it, and Kyle was gone. Doing TV and his charity bike ride is all he cares about now.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Draft saved Draft deleted