1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"I'm Just Here So I Won't Get Fined Boss"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I will admit that the delivery of his line is pretty funny and disarming, especially when he calls people "boss."

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

"Why are you acting like a 3-year-old?"

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I was responding to the quote from Rodney Harrison, who said, "part of your responsibility as a player is to be able to communicate with the media, so your fans can hear you." If an athlete wants the fans to hear him/her, a twitter machine and half a brain is all that is needed.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

And you'd be an idiot to ask any of those questions (which keep getting asked).

5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. I'm sure there are plenty of older Seattle fans who don't follow social media.

6. Mr. Sunshine

This is the old-school thinking DD was talking about. Instead of getting bent out of shape, a Lynch presser at this point is an opportunity to be a little creative and have a little fun with it. It's the Super Bowl, not a Congressional hearing.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Right. And I'm saying you're overrating athletes' ability/time allotment to express themselves in a way that's actually useful to them.

And the athletes most capable of expression are smart enough to let the media do it. Peyton Manning could absolutely do it. Here's what he does instead: He makes a shitload of money on commercials in his free time, and he then answers a few questions about football in a coherent, thoughtful manner. And reporters lick it up, dress it up, and make the dude some more money.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Pretty sure there are no Seahawks fans older than 30.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm sure the questions were perfectly creative and ludicrous yesterday. Being a goofball isn't the point.

Lynch has done several in-depth interviews over the years. They're pretty much all the same: He had a hard life growing up, he's selfless beyond belief and any criticism you could make of him is a product of your misunderstanding, because he's figured out you, himself and everybody else. He may be much more than that, but the stories tend to communicate the same things over and over.

I do find the "hold my dick" gesture interesting. He's not doing that to the media. He's doing that to the opponent. Maybe they misunderstand him, too.

SnarkShark likes this.
  10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Russell Wilson is following in his footsteps.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Answering every question the same way is kind of an NFL cliche at this point, right? It started with, "I'm just looking forward to playing the Steelers," or whatever it was. Or maybe Mark McGwire is the godfather of it. I'm not sure.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted