1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"I'm Just Here So I Won't Get Fined Boss"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 27, 2015.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

You are wrong - fans DO CARE.

That's why there is still a market for sports news.

And the reason there is so much interest is in large part because of media hyping these events

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's definitely a ridiculous angle. I did a double take when I saw someone still trumpeting it.

Working both the MLB and college football beats for a few years, I got quite disabused of the idea that the teams and leagues "need" us, at least the high-level stuff like the NFL that's on TV. I'd still catch 10 variations of shit for not covering the ginormous men's volleyball game which would determine the third seed in the Big East Tournament, depending on what also happened in the UConn-St. John's match three days later. I've gotten further disabused on the notion as my time on the day-to-day beat recedes in the rearview. I still think that the independent sports press provides an important informational service for fans. But with games on wall-to-wall, non-access blogs that do a damn find job on the X and O and statistical stuff, and team/school propaganda sites spitting out the basics and more, albeit from a team-friendly point of view, us keyboard jockeys just aren't as important as we once were. The leagues would survive just find without us.

DD, you bring up the European soccer leagues. Go look at sports coverage in the United States from the '20s and '30s, like I have for various projects. There are hardly any quotes at all. Tons of play-by-play, because, then, games weren't on TV. They were on the radio, during the day, when people were working.

I still think that Lynch is being a bit of a poopy head about this. But, admittedly, part of that is a function of the fact that I find it difficult to step into his shoes and understand exactly why someone wouldn't want to talk. If I were in his position, I'd have no problem with it. And, in my experience, we all seem like nice enough fellows. It's just strange to me that someone would find it so objectionable to talk about football for a few minutes a week with other humans.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Oh, these poor babies. God, do I not miss the self-importance of reporters, and especially TV and radio ones. "How DARE he not talk to US????!!!!!! We're the MEDIA!!!!!" You mean the same media who ass hyped New York being buried under two feet of snow for three days...only to have them get six inches? You mean the same media that destroyed Richard Jewell's life because, "BAH GAWD! HE LIVES WITH HIS MAMMA!" One thing I learned a long time ago is that certain occupations my be required to meet with you, but they sure as hell aren't obligated to give you exactly what you want. If that were the case, a police reporter's job would be WAAAY easier.

JC likes this.
  7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

A lot of MLB games weren't even on radio at first, because owners figured it would keep fans away from the park.

As for Lynch, if he really has an anxiety problem, then he could and should get a medical exemption from organized interview sessions. But I suspect he's just fucking with people.

That said, reporters continuing to press the issue when he's made it clear he won't play ball is just plain dumb.

8. Dick Whitman

Kind of. Whenever I watch it, the media and Lynch are kind of laughing with each other, not at each other. If there's anything pack journalists love, it's to show the subject that they are a supportive audience. I've been in press conferences in which Bob Knight says awful things about writers right to their faces, and everyone laughs like a bunch of programmed jackyls.

RecoveringJournalist likes this.
  9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

It was the same way with Spurrier.

10. zagoshe

Now, we're comparing soccer in a different country. Jesus.

Again, take all the games off television, off radio, coverage off the internet and have nobody cover them and see how much money is involved ten years from now.

11. Dick Whitman

What does any of that have to do with participants speaking to the media?

12. zagoshe

It is all tied together - "stinkin evil media" refers to TV, radio, internet and newspaper coverage. You don't get to pick and choose.

Draft saved Draft deleted