1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"I'm Just Here So I Won't Get Fined Boss"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 27, 2015.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Don't forget the hit-and-run. How much you wanna bet the "run" part was to stay out of another DUI. It only happened at 3:30 am in the city's bar district. Yeah, sure he didn't know he'd hit the woman.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Its not personal I don't care if he answers questions or not. Most questions are opened ended invitations to talk, thats not a question. THere are no follow ups, you can't ask a good question without following it up. All this is hype and reporters are necessarily working for the NFL in this instance they just don't think so.

He's not an athlete, he's a professional. It's part of his job. Don't like the job, quit. It's a requirement. Lynch went to the 20th best University in the country, for free. You'd think after that level of education he could carry on a patronizing conversation with less educated reporters for 5 minutes, once a week. He doesn't becuse he can't, not because he won't.

He's an asshole because he's an asshole. DUI's happen to good people and bad people. Sometimes it speaks volumes about your character, sometimes it doesnt. His hit and run makes him a selfish little prick, but it also doesn't forever make him an asshole. His behavior this year makes him an insufferable bitch. He's called more attention to himslef trying not to cause attention to himself than if he actually gave unremarkable and short responses to questions.

FOr me its not personal. for you (third person plural) it's business And right now as it relates to the NFL, sportsjournalists are unpaid employees of the league more often than they are independent

old_tony likes this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Except that it really isn't an important part of his job. If an NFL team had a choice of two running backs, one who has Lynch's ability, but who doesn't talk to the media, and another one who has less than his ability, but is great with the media, who do you think they will choose?

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It's not an important part of the job, but it is a requirement of the job. Professional athletes are well compensated, have enormous fringe benefits and public adulation. In return they are required to perform on and off the field. Now Lynch is performing and the NFL probably likes this attention. And whether he understands it or not his current act is drawing more flies than a country barn

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

His requirement is to show up, which he did.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure he won't be released over this.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It was a bit before my time, but what happened when Steve Carlton hit the big stage of the World Series? Did reporters suddenly feel like he owed them his time and his thoughts, or did they just let him be?

8. cranberry

Before my time, too, but no baseball player has ever been forced to talk to anyone above his objections as far as I know.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Oh, this post.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

11. cranberry

No word yet on whether the parties agreed to clauses that would void the deal if he fails to respond to reporters' questions in the manner reporters deem appropriate.

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I hope it's a team-friendly deal because while Lynch is coming off one of his better seasons, next year will be his ninth in the league.

Draft saved Draft deleted