1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"I'm Just Here So I Won't Get Fined Boss"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 27, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This has to be the most annoying Super Bowl ever, right? At this point, I'm not even really looking forward to the game.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  2. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

The media does ask the same few questions over and over. If the reporters bothered to ask better questions, maybe the players would be more inclined to respond.

How often does a player say anything interesting or insightful anyway? Reporters ask boilerplate questions, players and coaches give boilerplate responses.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The fact that guys don't always say relevant things is not relevant.

Nor is the fact that reporters ask "the same things over and over."

What IS relevant is that millions and millions of people have made these guys lots of money and these guys in turn shouldn't be assholes about spending 10 minutes answering questions - no matter how dumb - for their benefit before a huge event like this.

Lynch should be fined $1 million for being an asshole about the whole thing.

I can't think of anything more pointless and downright ridiculous then guys who "refuse to speak to the media"

Like I always say - take away all media -- TV, radio, internet, newspaper -- get them all to ignore the NFL or any pro sports for ten years and let's see how much money the league is bringing in once they become less relevant than the WNBA and there is not hype for every single thing that happens.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm sure that this is Marshawn Lynch's civil disobedience against the scourge of questions that are not probing enough.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

But you'll apparently have killer snacks.

JackReacher likes this.
  6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Randy Moss too.

Lynch and the NFL can pound sand, IMO. Ignore him. But please, media, don't try giving us one of those heartfelt, tinkly-piano-music featurettes on how tough Lynch has had it or how misunderstood he is. Everybody has to effin' grow up at some point or accept responsibility for their choices.

Dicks on both sides Sunday will make this a hard game to watch. Rooting for both teams to lose means what? I want the commercials to win?

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Both coaches are documented cheaters so they cancel each other out. A player on one team is an asshole about interviews a guy on the other team said he wants to see his guys break someone's arm. A corner and receiver from one team seem to be trying to win the contest for who can be the loudest and most obnoxious interview and a tight end for the other writes stories about sexual exploits.

One team's fan base believes the whole world of sports wants to be them even though their hockey and basketball teams have been more mediocre than great for the past, oh, two decades or so while the other team's fan base is still whining about non-calls in a Super Bowl from like a decade ago.

Yeah, pretty much a very unlikable cast of characters in this one.

jpetrie18 likes this.
  8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I reject this argument in its entirety. Players earn their salaries because they're the best people in the world at their profession and there is demand for their services because consumers enjoy watching them compete on the field. The fans don't give a fuck whether they respond seriously to anyone's questions during the media day circus. I would suggest they have some limited obligation as employees to contribute to the "show" in terms of interviews for the television/radio partners. They have no obligation to answer questions from the credentialed news media.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    Hokie_pokie and Boom_70 like this.
  9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That wasn't intended as a shot at you, Snark. It just related to a couple of posts OOP and I exchanged earlier. No offense intended.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

This is especialy true now that The NFL has turned it into an entertainment event. I for one found Lynch very entertaining.

As a sidebar the true media should be insulted every time posers like Deion Sanders and Michael Irvin ask questions. Sanders committed
    one of the most heinous acts ever against a member of the media in post game World Series interview.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Dion Sanders

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Strictly by letter of the law, the only thing teams are obligated to do is provide the media "access" and hold a press conference with the coach and one player.

So, to clarify a point someone made earlier, the NFL is perfectly fine with a player sitting there with a blank stare for 15 minutes, as long as media members can stand near him the whole time.

Draft saved Draft deleted