1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In the NYT, Amy Winehouse > James Gandolfini

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 20, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There's always a chance too that the NYT decided long ago that putting Winehouse on A1 was kind of ridiculous. Much of this argument is an offshoot of the "well this is the way we've always done it" theory, which I think we all agree has proved to be a terrible way to run a newspaper.

And also ...

Truth, more than ever.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I've gotta agree with Orville - I heard the news and my reaction was basically, "Oh, how about that... <and on with my day>" I didn't have HBO and have never watched the Sopranos, but I don't know him from any role beyond that. This isn't Daniel Day-Lewis we're talking about. I think a front-page teaser and inside placement is fine.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I've never seen The Sopranos, but I've seen him in plenty of movies and know enough to know that his death is a big deal.

Not sure I'd call him a titan, but it was/is big news. A1? Meh. Probably not.

4. LongTimeListener

If we were finding out Tony Soprano is dead, now that's a no-brainer 1A.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've heard this argument more than once today. That's what my brother, who is anti-HBO, anti-indie movies and music, texted back t ome: "Nobody I know even watched that show. Just people like you."

Keep in mind that this was the same guy who didn't think Bob Dylan's death would be an A1 NYT story.

6. JackReacher

It wasn't an argument. You should have read the rest of what I posted.

Just looked. I threw a question mark at the end, for some reason. It was a statement. My bad.

I know he was a huge deal. Just not enough for 1A, in my opinion.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Sorry. Poor wording. I don't think that you were making an argument. But I've heard people make that statement as part of an argument today, i.e. that the show was a critical darling and extremely popular among a passionate fan base, but its reach was not very big.

8. JackReacher

Well, that's stupid.

And really....after thinking about it, I think he falls in the "It's cool if they put him on 1A, but I wouldn't really give a shit if they didn't" category.

For some reason, I remember him most for his small role in Crimson Tide and for his role in Last Castle.

9. LongTimeListener

Its reach wasn't very big, though. The finale was watched by 11.9 million people, which at the time was an average to poor showing compared with a network show. That was the average weekly viewership number for Law & Order: SVU that season.

10. JackReacher

But in terms of the big cable shows these days, that's a solid viewership.

5.39 million watched the recent season finale of Game of Thrones.
    2.98 million is the peak for Breaking Bad.
    12.42 million for the recent season finale of The Walking Dead.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

No way is he worth A1. Heck, Chase has a better shot down the line.

And Dick, "Yes. Absolutely. No question. Without a doubt. Inarguable." is below your usual level of intellectual rigor. A few of us are a'doubtin'. Defend your view.

12. LongTimeListener

Oh I know. And for pay cable, it's astounding.

But as a cultural icon, he might be overstated by those "in the know."

Draft saved Draft deleted