1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In the NYT, Amy Winehouse > James Gandolfini

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 20, 2013.

1. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Once again, we're not talking about mainstream cultural influence here. We're talking about the world of New York Times readers, which may not even know Two And A Half Men exists.

But I look forward to more strong takes on Gandolfini's relevance as an artist from people who might have seen him in Crimson Tide.

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Yeah, he was super convincing as a right-handed Joe Jackson.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I buy into H.L. Mencken's argument to some degree. I wouldn't have had a problem with it on A1. But I think he's overstating it quite a bit. The Sopranos was riding the coattails of other hugely influential dramas of the 1990s. It wasn't the first artistic drama ever.

4. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Alma seems conditioned to believe that everything in movies is, and always will be, better. Which is fine. David Chase believes the same, actually.

It's just false. And far more snobbish than I could ever be.

David Simon, David Chase, Vince Gilligan, David Milch -- these guys are actually telling stories as opposed to jerking off their film school pals.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Heck, to take Mencky Jimy's argument, and stereotyping of NYT readers, to their extreme, why would those readers be slumming on HBO, when there's CNBC, public television, BBC America and the History Channel around? And heck, why would these folks even be watching TV? They'd be at the opera, holding a late board of directors meeting or having a cocktail party in the Hamptons.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

CEOs do not watch TV. They don't have time. They get up at 7 in the morning. Did you miss that thread?

7. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Of course I'm overstating it! That's what I do! Ever read what I wrote about William Jennings Bryan during the Scopes Monkey Trial?

Effing Puritans.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

You would think that after the first five years of no one crashing through the ice and drowning the audience would get that it ain't gonna' happen. Then again, this is a country that watches poker on television.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Ohhh, and you were so close too.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Where did Jean Stapleton's obit run in the NYT? If that didn't make A1, no way Gandolfini does.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Not everything is better in movies. TV does comedy better.

12. beanpole

beanpole Member

Page A22. I don't know if she got the Page 1 refer or how it was played online the day before, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted