1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inky reporter vs. Brett Myers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter_Sobchak, Aug 26, 2007.

1. healingman

healingman Guest

Geez ... does there need to be a YouTube of Jim Everett pouncing on a young Jim Rome on this thread?

2. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I don't understand why the reporter had to push Myers on the "popup" remark in the first place. Everybody knows the ball carries like crazy in the Phillies' park and lazy flyballs can end up in the stands. Myers isn't the first pitcher to say that the homers he gave up were cheap. The reporter had no need to say, "Really? Popups?" He knew what Myers meant.

That said, when a player levels a personal insult at him, I have a hard time blaming the reporter for firing back. Not the most professional conduct, but I understand.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Sam deserves a talking to by the higher-ups at the Inky... that is, if there are any left... this is why I prefer Zolecki.

And Gillick needs to rein in Myers and say "hey, I understand he may be out of line, but you were too with that remark."

Happens in every sport. Egos clash every day.

4. ShelbyFoote

ShelbyFoote Member

Interesting that one of Myers' insults was that he wasn't the beat reporter.

5. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

A good lesson for both sides - pick your battles. Though I doubt a beat reporter would be so daring as to make that remark, because you have to see that person on a daily basis. Even if Brett Myers is a horse's ass.

6. part-timer

part-timer Member

Carchidi covers high school sports during the school year as his main beat.

7. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

If you listen to the audio, it sounds like Myers really wanted to kill this guy. I wonder if the paper sends him back to the park today. This probably cements Myers as the biggest asshole athlete in baseball, right? Above Bonds?

8. Are you kidding?
    Bonds is a Cheater who has Sullied the Most Hallowed Record In Sports.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Thanks ... I didn't think I was losing my mind.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

No.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I give credit to a guy who doesn't cover the team on a daily basis, yet has his wits about him to offer such a snappy retort. Lots of us would have gone all "...hummena, hummena, hummena..." long enough for the moment to have passed.

That said, it also sounds like either a wise-ass question or a dumb one -- I prefer the previously suggested, "Did you think they might stay in the park?" -- and the reporter would have been better off letting Myers show his colors without escalating the snit.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Look, this is the bottom line.

Brett Myers was the asshole all by himself. But when the reporter joined in the pissing match, he joined the asshole parade.

And to pre-empt SportsJournalists.com Weak Argument #37, no, I don't have to put myself in the reporter's place. I really don't. Right is right, and wrong is wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted