1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

is a burrito a sandwich?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by leo1, Nov 15, 2006.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

because it tastes like soap and i use soap for washing not for eating. fuck cilantro.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Love love love cilantro, and started buying it to use at home after I was introduced to it a couple years ago.

Couldn't buy it, though, at the white-people's grocery store (Publix) in my hometown, had to get it at Wal-Mart or the slightly-less ghetto Food Lion.

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i hear barberitos is popping up all over the place. i haven't been there since there was just the one on clayton street in athens. pretty damn good if i remember

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

People who hate cilantro will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I guess this thread is kind of an appropriate place for this observation... I originally come from NY. I lived in Chicago for about 5 years. I was amazed at how many Mexicans there were in Chicago and how good the Mexican food was. Big Mexican neighborhoods, which you don't have in NYC. In NY, you have Dominicans. Puerto Ricans, too. But not so many Mexicans. My question, which has never been satisfactorily answered, is why have so many Mexicans found their way to Chicago, with its shit weather, but not NY, if they are going to ditch Cali, Texas and NM? The Mexican border is nowhere near Chicago.

Tying it into the tread... Mexican food--at least cheap burrito and margarita type places--is the one area NYC really fails in comparison to Chicago. I became something of a burrito connoisseur when I lived in Chicago, my favorite being the place on Clark Street with the "Burritos as big as your head" sign. Is it still there?

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Chicago is closer to Mexico than NY. NY is closer to PR and the DR than Chicago. My guess is plain old geographic distance, but it's only a guess.

Maybe Mexicans don't want to go to NY and get called "Puerto Ricans"? :-\

I'd enjoy hearing a more informed opinion. It's a good question...I've always been mildly fascinated with immigration patterns. Why did so many Portuguese people end up in southern New England? Germans and Czechs in Central Texas? Russians in Nebraska? Sefardic Jews in New Mexico?

One thing I do know, the Mexican presence in Chicago goes way back...

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

immigration patterns often don't make sense on the surface. why do so many hmong and somali live in minnesota? not for the weather, that's for sure. often once a small group -- say a few hundred -- settles in a place and a local foundation or church or group starts some kind of outreach. or more simply, it's a snowball effect. not saying that's what happened in chicago but it makes sense.

then again, sometimes they do make sense -- why do so many cubans live in south florida? geography, of course.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

There's a huge Colombian population in Northwest Montana. Makes NO sense, but there's a big enough group that there's a Caltholic service and a more evangelical one in Spanish. Doesn't sound like much, but the population of the town I lived in is only about 14,000.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I just had the best burrito I've ever had. (And I've had many.)
    New joint here in town.

Steak Burrito.
    Cheese.
    Sour Cream.
    Jalapenos.
    Pinto Beans.
    French Fries.
    Hot sauce.

Good Heavens it is good.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Had some tacos with it on there a week or so ago.
    Love me some cilantro.

12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted