1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Santa Claus-dying kid story made-up b.s.?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Did it get Web hits?

YankeeFan and Riptide like this.
  2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am just trying to speculate how it happened based on my experience. Not excuse it.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Hey, I posted it here. At first glance, it reads like the Make-a-Wish stories you see a thousand of, all year long. You have to start thinking about it a little bit for it to start coming apart. It's not like the "Rolling Stone" piece, which was clearly bullshit from the get-go.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Bullshit, made-up Christmas tear-jerker that goes national?
    Fire away, with authority: "Get the fuck out of my newsroom."

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Knoxville is (now) a Gannett paper. They pull stuff from the farm clubs all the time to run, and my Spidey sense suggests they expect it to have been fact-checked at the local level.

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

But a significant portion will continue to believe in the face of overwhelming evidence that it's total horseshit. The Santa Story Truthers are coming to a Facespace near you.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Good luck "firing" the reporter. Sam's approaching 70 years old and semi-retired, writing a couple of times a week. To many readers in Knoxville, he's the only good read remaining at the paper.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think there is any evidence that it's horsehit at present. Also, no real evidence that it's true. Other than the word of Santa. And he never did bring me that pony.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I remember when writing a column a couple times a week used to be a full-time newspaper job!

dixiehack likes this.
  10. Dick Whitman

I could be a good read, too, if permitted to write fiction.

lcjjdnh and YankeeFan like this.
  11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Surely, by now, the parents of the dead child would step up and say something, right?

Dead kid's parents? Parents? (crickets chirping)

12. Dick Whitman

Or one of the four other sets of parents whose child's death bed he says he visited.

Draft saved Draft deleted