1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Santa Claus-dying kid story made-up b.s.?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

TV station says it has "independently verified" details in the story, but isn't telling what those are. The reporters also viewed text messages to friends from mid-October.

Facts verified in Santa's hospital visit story

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

So, the wife — who, admittedly wasn't there — backs him up. And other details, but we can't say which or what they are.

And: "The nurse, Schmitt-Matzen said, fears her job could be in jeopardy if she came forward, for calling a non-family member into an ICU without prior hospital approval and then having that person publicly share his story."

Yeah, I'm pretty sure patients can have whoever they want to visit.

Still think it's all bullshit.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't really understand the worry about people being fired because it seems like if the parents were good, they didn't necessarily break any hospital policies.

However, you'd think the parents would come forward unless they are in some kind of media blackout.

4. Dick Whitman

I wonder if the guy really did visit a very sick child, but the details - like the kid dying - were added. It doesn't strike me as implausible that a guy who plays Santa and takes the role pretty seriously would make some hospital visits. The whole thing is bizarre, and the TV station shouldn't have run the piece saying that they confirmed details, but aren't going to tell us what they are.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This is the very definition of hubris.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Dick, or the TV station?

7. Dick Whitman

I'm pretty sure he means the TV station.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

TV reporters, btw, are both youngsters who are pretty new to the area. Yeah, I have no trouble believing they were able to get the scoop when everyone else (including the original columnist) failed. Yeah, tee-vee newbies. (Rolling eyes.)

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yes, the TV station.

I mean, read the fucking room. Responding to a complete breach of trust with, "Trust us!" maybe isn't the best idea.

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If those TV reporters have the scoop on Santa, have them figure out how he gets presents in houses that don't have chimneys and whether he is in league with ADT and other security companies to turn off the alarms.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Oh shit, maybe we need to have our chimney wired!

Ace likes this.
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Dick's hubris is already an established baseline. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted