1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"I've reached that age when..."

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by UNCGrad, Dec 21, 2023.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

He went from looking impossibly young to looking older than his age almost overnight. He basically looked his age in Godzilla, which I think came out in 1998, and then I saw him with Sarah Jessica Parker at a Mets game a year or two later #NameDropper and I was like there's no fucking way that's him.

maumann, 2muchcoffeeman and garrow like this.
  2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Very humbling,

I’ve reached the age where I’m at a table for 10 at some event and IM the oldest!!! Dammit I’m old.

maumann and Driftwood like this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I've reached the age where I get the Senior discount without being asked.

maumann, OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Today I believe I officially reached the age when all my known peers from the high school class of '91 (I'm including college friends in this batch) hit 50. A college friend hits 50 today. There may be one more friend (whom I haven't seen in 30-plus years) whose parents backdoored him into our class even though he was born in January '74. Regardless. We old.

maumann likes this.
  5. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Wednesday I passed on the second and probably better half of a double-header because it would mean being up too late. Also, when did Ovechkin get older and more worn out looking than me? Made me sad.

Way back during the Brat Pack era, a reviewer for Rolling Stone carped that he was tired of directors assuming we all needed the animal energy and fire of youth more than youth needed insight, skill, and the seasoning that comes with experience. I think this was a review for either Fame or Flashdance. The letters section in the next issue was interesting, with people my age accusing the reviewer of being jealous.

Even as a slightly less old person, the In! Your! Face! sensibility made me feel tired.

What's funny is my nephew, now in his thirties, told me the other day he reread some Calvin and Hobbes and understood why I sometimes mentioned an urge to drop Calvin off in the middle of a lightly attended state park.

I really love being an old lady. It's liberating in many ways. However, there is a nagging sense that I need to think about what I'm willing to invest my time and energy into because both are more finite than I initially thought.

6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Drinking a shitton and being a yes man for a murderous dictator takes a toll.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Well, speaking of old ...

[​IMG]

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I’m not quite there yet (Class of ‘94), but I have a new neighbor, a homeowner and father of 2, who was born the year after I graduated. :(

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I’m at the age where a guy who I wrote about when he played high school football who is now a coworker is ready to retire in his mid 50s.

Many of my son’s former high school teachers were kids I wrote about as high school athletes.

I have to remind myself that I was mid 20s when they were teenagers, so I’m not that much older.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2023
    Driftwood and OscarMadison like this.
  10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Lots of work on that melon.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

My cross country coach is still teaching business at our HS. Probably in his mid-60s, maybe a little closer to 70 than 60. Either way, it's amazing how old people in their early 30s seem when you're 16 or 17.

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

This is doubly funny/ironic, b/c she. too, looked impossibly young even while being young for a while in the '80s. Broderick was in his 20s when he broke out, but she was 18 when Footloose was made and looked 14. (Unlike Kevin Bacon & Lori Singer, who were, like, 55 when the movie was made) But time waits for none of us. Except maybe Ralph Macchio.

Draft saved Draft deleted